Scientific Support Analyst
Center for Translational Data Science (CTDS) · Chicago, IL with some remote flexibility
The job liaises between the IT group and business to support the development and implementation of new systems and enhancements of existing systems. With moderate guidance, evaluates new IT developments and evolving business requirements, and uses elementary knowledge of University systems to recommend appropriate systems. Using established protocols within assigned data commons and cloud environments, the Scientific Support Analyst serves as a contact and resource for end-users, clients, Center staff, and User Services team members. The SSA tracks, resolves, and reports on inquiries related to data submission and access, installation, and operation of the Gen3 or GDC software, and the overall user experience within a Translational Data Science research environment. With some supervision and guidance from senior team members, the SSA applies strategies and develops materials and documentation for resolving user issues, educating users and clients, triaging complex issues, and representing the Center on committees and at conferences and meetings with clients.
- Serve as primary contact on assigned data inquiries, resolving issues and tracking queries in an efficient and timely manner; keeps good records of issues and reports on trends.
- Provide exceptionally competent email support to our clients and staff, along with demonstrating dedication to high quality customer service.
- Perform problem analysis, evaluation, recreating, and resolution of client report problems.
- Develop deep understanding of the data, scientific goals and methodology, and underlying biological and translational concepts in assigned data commons and cloud environments.
- Take full ownership of assigned cases, triaging them to the appropriate resources and guiding them through to achieve final resolution.
- Coordinate on user management and issue resolution with functional teams, including, but not necessarily limited to, operations, development, design, bioinformatics, data science, project management, and information security.
- Assist senior personnel and subject matter experts on escalated issues.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize and manage inquiries of diverse scope and complexity.
- Assist in the development of client-facing training materials and documents and internal-facing documents like Standard Operating Procedures.
- Participate in educating users on the technology and make recommendations for optimization, including, but not limited to, participation at conference, symposia, and meetings with clients.
- Contribute to ongoing improvement of business and quality processes.
- Stay current on user needs, internal projects, and the broader biotech, open source, and translational data science communities.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders on research use cases and demonstrations of a platform; participate in user education initiatives.
- With moderate direction from others, conducts business process analyses, needs assessments, and preliminary cost/benefits analyses. Uses basic understanding of applicable business processes, systems, and industry requirements.
- Implements functional, system, and program specifications. Assists in revising existing system logic difficulties as necessary, under the direction of more experienced colleagues.
- Supports the IT development group in building new systems and enhance existing systems. Assists in coding, testing, debugging, and implementing software solutions. Prepares documentation on system enhancements and/or alternatives.
- Administers new IT developments, keeps up with evolving business requirements, and uses knowledge of University systems to recommend appropriate systems alternatives and/or enhancements to current systems.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Advanced degree in Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, or a related technical area with high preference on PhD in Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, or a related technical area.
- Experience in customer service or client relations.
- Technical documentation and writing experience.
- Experience in bioinformatics, biostatistics, or related field.
- Experience working on research infrastructure.
- Experience with both hardware and software IT projects.
- Strong technical skills, ability to pick up quickly on our unique systems and offerings.
- Ability to speak to both technical users and business stakeholders and interact at all levels of an organization.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters with tact and discretion.