Technical Lead, Full Stack Software Engineer
Association of American Medical Colleges · Washington, DC
Who we are:
The technology division of AAMC is a vibrant community of people who are excited about making a positive impact in the world of healthcare. The AAMC is dedicated to improving the health of the nation by supporting the entire spectrum of education, research, and patient care activities conducted by our member institutions. Our work in technology assists medical students, teaching institutions, hospitals and doctors to strengthen medical care and improve the health of all.
Significant employer 403(b) contribution
Public transportation subsidy
Generous paid time off program
Wellness program that includes: discounted gym membership, onsite yoga and sponsored sports teams
Why us, why now
AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges) is a not-for-profit association dedicated to transforming health care through innovative medical education, cutting-edge patient care, and groundbreaking medical research. AAMC IT is beginning a multi-year modernization of its large product portfolio into an API based digital platform while transitioning from on-premise to Amazon Web Services (AWS) . AAMC IT strives to deliver innovative solutions and superb service that enable amazing experiences, impactful strategies, and new insights for the AAMC community and staff. The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for the design, development, and support of applications that enable the AAMC’s service programs and processes for medical students and schools. The Senior Software Engineer will collaborate with business and IT colleagues to assess needs, document requirements, analyze solutions, create prototypes and implement re-engineering of, enhancement to and production issues fixes of a portfolio of applications. They will work with quality assurance team members to ensure the proposed solution meets functional and performance requirements. They will also be responsible for onboarding and knowledge transfer activities for junior IT team members.
- Angular 9 and above, TypeScript, HTML/CSS/SASS
- NgRx, RxJS
- Cypress, Jest
- Charting solutions like High charts, D3 etc.
- Java/J2EE, Spring MVC, JPA/Hibernate
- Messaging services like AMQ
- JSON RESTful API web service development
- JUnit, Mockito
- Oracle 19c, PL/SQL, Amazon Oracle RDS
- Aurora PostgreSQL
- Dynamo DB
- GitHub/BitBucket and Atlassian Bamboo
- BitBucket pipelines
How you will make an impact
- Perform detailed technical design, development and unit testing of custom applications and data flow in the context of projects, releases and production support
- Provide development estimates outlining business and technical risks.
- Provide technical and business explanation and justification for architectural, design, and coding approaches
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring for junior team members
- Development/maintenance and defect resolution of code
- Application and database performance tuning
- Develop integrated solutions to support, maintain and enhance continuing operations of business systems
- Provide expertise and insight into coding best practices, design and architecture of solutions
- Perform code reviews of other developers
- Participate in development of system documentation according to established standards
- Collaborate heavily with fellow architects, business analysts, developers, and project managers to solve problems
- Work in partnership with IT Managers and Technical Leads to track and report progress
What you will bring to the role
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or related scientific or technical discipline required
- Experience developing enterprise level applications, multi-tiered applications
- 8+ years’ of experience
- Experience with service-oriented architecture development and implementation.
- Experience and understanding of architectural principles and frameworks (MVC).
- Strong knowledge of database design principles.
- Excellent problem-solving, design, development, and debugging skills
- Strong practical experience with Spring Framework, Hibernate, and database design development and operations
- Strong teambuilding and interpersonal skills
- Prior team lead experience
- Demonstrated ability to effectively adapt to changing technology
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a high level of trust and confidence with internal AAMC business partners
If a bachelor’s degree is required, related work experience may be substituted in some positions. One year of college course work at an accredited institution is equivalent to one year of related work experience.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Please attach a resume as part of the application process. It is important that files DO NOT include periods ( . ) within the file name.
BROWSER REQUIREMENTS: Applications must be submitted using Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer v.10 or higher.