Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack)
Association of American Medical Colleges · Washington, DC
Who we are:
The technology division of AAMC is a vibrant community of people who are excited about making a positive impact in the world of healthcare. The AAMC is dedicated to improving the health of the nation by supporting the entire spectrum of education, research, and patient care activities conducted by our member institutions. Our work in technology assists medical students, teaching institutions, hospitals and doctors to strengthen medical care and improve the health of all.
Significant employer 403(b) contribution
Public transportation subsidy
Generous paid time off program
Wellness program that includes discounted gym membership, onsite yoga and sponsored sports teams
Why us, why now?
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is seeking a Senior Software Engineer. The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for the design, development, monitor and support of applications that enable the AAMC’s service programs and processes for medical students and schools.
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for the design, development, and support of applications that enable the AAMC’s service programs and processes for medical students and schools. The Senior Software Engineer will collaborate with business and IT colleagues to assess needs, document requirements, analyze solutions, create prototypes and implement re-engineering of, enhancement to and production issues fixes of a portfolio of applications. They will work with quality assurance team members to ensure the proposed solution meets functional and performance requirements. They will also be responsible for onboarding and knowledge transfer activities for junior IT team members
- NgRx, RxJS, Mono-repository, Cypress, Jest, High Charts (or equivalent)
- Java/J2EE, Spring MVC Framework and JPA/Hibernate, AMQ, SOAP and JSON RESTful web service development
- Oracle 19c, PL/SQL, Amazon Oracle RDS, Aurora PostgreSQL, Dynamo SB
- Maven, JUnit, Git, SVN and Atlassian Bamboo
- GitHub/BitBucket, Atlassian Bamboo, BitBucket pipelines, JFrog
- Agile SCRUM, Kanban, DevOps Methodology in AWS environment
- AWS, EC2, S3, RDS, AWS API Gateway, Lambda
How you will make an impact
Partner with tech leads, product owners, architects, business analysts, quality analysts, developers both onsite and offshore and delivery and system managers to design solutions and solve problems.
- Nurture and support a strong engineering culture with product focus, excellent technology, high quality implementations, self-motivated innovation and problem-solving.
Share your expertise
Provide technical oversight and mentoring for AAMC product development team members by sharing insights into best practices for coding, design and architecture principles.
- Be responsible for code reviews and guide the team in the development, maintenance and defect resolution of code.
- Conduct rigorous reviews to make sure the products and services required for major seasonal events are carefully tested and team is fully prepared to execute successfully.
- Lead a team of onshore and/or offshore developers to ensure the development team’s design and coding solutions are delivered to QA with high quality and efficiency while meeting functional and non-functional requirements including cross-browser support, WCAG accessibility, security and performance standards.
Provide critical support
Partner with Tech Ops, Enterprise Architecture, Shared Services, and vendor teams to ensure we implement and maintain robust application monitoring practices and integrate it with the 24x7 IT Services Management processes and continuously collect measurements to monitor the effectiveness of application operations and develop plans for improvement.
- Be available outside of regular business hours to support code deployments, implement IT maintenance and upgrades, and to respond to disruptions in application services.
What you will bring to the role
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or related scientific or technical discipline required
- 5+ years of experience
- 4+ years of experience in Java/J2EE/Hibernate/Spring MVC/SQL
- 2+ years of Angular
- Experienced developing enterprise level, multi-tiered applications
- Experienced with mobile-first development
- Experienced with service-oriented architecture development and implementation
- Strong knowledge of database design and data modeling principles
- Strong practical experience with Spring Framework, Hibernate, and database design development and operations
- Excellent problem-solving, design, development, and debugging skills
- Experience with code reviews, coding standards, practices to improve the quality in the software code with a SHIFT LEFT mindset.
- Strong knowledge in Agile Scrum practices, Software Development, and Application Life Cycle Management
- Strong knowledge in Angular, Java/J2EE, HTML/CSS/SASS
- Strong Knowledge of JSON RESTful web service development
- Strong Understanding of Service Oriented Architecture, containerization and Microservices.
- Ability to solve problems using an analytical approach; decisive, fast moving; quick and constructive resolutions of conflicts; and a can-do attitude
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a high level of trust and confidence with business partners
- Experience developing, deploying and maintaining applications on cloud environments such as AWS
If a bachelor’s degree is required, related work experience may be substituted in some positions. One year of college course work at an accredited institution is equivalent to one year of related work experience.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Please attach a resume as part of the application process. It is important that files DO NOT include periods ( . ) within the file name.
BROWSER REQUIREMENTS: Applications must be submitted using Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer v.10 or higher.