Data Science Software Developer Internship (Summer 2022)
RTI International · Durham, NC
HR Directions seeks a prospect for its client RTI International for the Data Science Software Developer Internship within the Division for Statistical & Data Sciences in the Social, Statistical, and Environmental Sciences business unit.
The Summer 2022 Data Science Software Developer Intern will work within The Center for Data Science. The ideal candidate will be skilled in general software development (open source) and interested in applying that expertise to data science applications, which typically involves a combination of data engineering, data visualization, and advanced analytics (machine learning, AI, simulation modeling, natural language processing). Data Science interns work collaboratively with team members to design, prototype, and deploy web-based analytic and data visualization solutions across a wide variety of fast-moving projects.
As the Data Science Software Developer Intern, you will solve important national problems, improve local communities, and transform research.
- Collaborate with a team of data scientists, computer scientists, and subject matter experts to solve problems across a variety of research domains
- Collect, clean, store, organize, and integrate data, and create data pipelines that are part of technical solutions
- Participate as an active member of a team building web-based data products, typically using Python and Vue.js
- Create internal and publicly available data products and tools
- Communicate results through web-based applications, presentations, blog posts, peer-reviewed publications, and/or contributions to open-source projects
RTI's Internship Program emphasizes experiential and mentored learning experiences, providing students and recent degree recipients an opportunity to apply their academic knowledge and skills in a meaningful and practical way. We are committed to developing the future workforce by encouraging interns to explore various career paths in a nonprofit research institute setting that values diversity and inclusion. Through this program, interns will be exposed to RTI's open and educational culture; support RTI's mission to improve the human condition; and build upon their career goals.
This internship will take place from May 2022 through August 2022. The internship requires a minimum of 32 hours per week. Hours are flexible during business hours, Monday through Friday.
- Rising seniors (or final year in grad school) obtaining a bachelors or master’s degree in computer science, information science, or data science
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills, including oral and written communication and presentations as evidenced by personal website, publications or cover letter
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status
- Previous relevant experience or internship outside of a classroom environment
- Experience with data ETL processes (e.g., SQL queries, reading flat files (CSV/JSON), data cleaning)
- Ability to access, extract, integrate, create pipelines, and analyze data from a wide variety of sources (e.g., relational databases, text and unstructured data, sensor data, social media data, image and video data, streaming data)
- Ability to quickly and easily learn new open source software
- Experience navigating and scripting in a Unix command line environment
- Experience with containerization technologies (Docker)
- Collaborative software development experience, including familiarity with version control, testing, code reviews, and/or Agile software development
- Experience with web back-end technologies, preferably python
- Experience with static and/or interactive data visualization methods
- Familiarity with SQL and NoSQL databases, including any of these: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MongoDB, and Neo4j
- Experience in cluster and cloud computing environments