Senior Software Engineer
ThinkCERCA · Remote (USA)
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer:
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer who would like to join a growing education technology start-up in building user-centered products that help kids build critical thinking skills.
An ideal Senior Software Engineer candidate will know or be ready to learn:
- how to read feature descriptions or user stories and break down those descriptions into implementable, testable units of software
- how to read bug reports generated by QA engineers or extracted from end-user issues and form a plan to address, correct, and test for the defects behind those bug reports
- how to write documentation for the delivered software in the form of in-code comments, API references, architectural explanations, operational how-tos, and tutorials for other developers
- how to help foster a highly functional software team through collaboration with other engineers, QA engineers, project managers, and product managers
- how to develop the skills and manage the careers of junior software engineers on the team
If you were working for ThinkCERCA, here are some of the things you might have done in the last month:
- You would have written clean, reusable, testable code to ship new features that help students develop critical thinking skills.
- You would have collaborated with the team in planning an application release.
- You would have worked with other developers by pair programming to complete a feature or helping decompose user stories into software development tasks.
- You would have engaged in the design, documentation, and review of application code.
- You would have collaborated with stakeholders from product, design, PM, and DevOps teams on the correct approach to meeting product requirements.
- You would have researched solutions on how to best maintain our existing application platforms, and advocated for opportunities to improve them.
- You would have worked with other developers to fully document, through both code and prose, the proper behavior of our applications.
- You may have served as a technology stakeholder on an “in the wild” research project to understand how teachers and students use our product.
Here are some other things we are looking for in a candidate:
- Strong computer science fundamentals. You’re an expert with the technologies in our tech stack (Ruby on Rails, React, RESTful and GraphQL APIs). You should know how to write BDD tests. You should have a deep understanding of the architectural patterns behind these technologies.
- You’re proficient with modern software development tools, such as Git and GitHub, issue tracking, UNIX command-line utilities, Docker container usage, some modern programming editor or IDE, and have at least been exposed to the concepts of continuous integration and continuous delivery systems.
- Excellent communication skills in English: You can effectively work with engineers but at the same time collaborate with product managers and other non-technical stakeholders as needed.
- You care about building a strong tech culture that values growth, learning, ownership and accountability, diversity and inclusion, and camaraderie, all aligned with our ThinkCERCA values.
Chicago strongly preferred, but remote work on US Central business hours is acceptable, as we do run as a distributed team currently using Slack, GitHub, Jira, and Confluence for team communication and collaboration.
Why you want to jump on the ThinkCERCA train:
ThinkCERCA is a Chicago-based company passionately committed to improving the quality of K-12 education. Built by educators, our online platform is designed to empower teachers in personalizing literacy instruction across disciplines. The ThinkCERCA Framework provides a common language for students, teachers, parents, and administrators to drive sustainable growth in student achievement. Our work has a demonstrated impact: The results of third party studies show that schools that use ThinkCERCA see significant growth in their students’ literacy and critical thinking skills.