Principal Software Engineer, Carbon Apps - Backend
Indigo · Boston, MA/Remote
Does fighting climate change through regenerative farming practices at a scale sound interesting to you?
Indigo develops biological and digital technologies that improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. Carbon by Indigo is a scientifically backed program that provides growers with a new revenue stream in the form of verified agricultural carbon credits. Increased soil organic matter or reduced greenhouse gas emissions from practices, such as adding cover crops or reducing tillage, can generate verified carbon credits, which are increasingly in demand by buyers. These credits can then be sold for profit by growers. As a Principal Software Engineer, it is your job to lead the design and development of Indigo services and systems powering our web and mobile applications.
Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too. From multigenerational farming e to product experience experts to cutting-edge technologists, our uniqueness can be owed to the individuals who make up our teams. Connected by a common vision and empowered by diversity, we aren’t an ordinary company, and neither are you. Join Indigo in cultivating a healthier planet.
- Design scalable, reusable APIs for both Indigo engineers, partners and end users
- Achieve consensus with engineering leads and cross-functional key stakeholders to identify and gain sign-off for API features and enhancements
- Evolve and improve the current AWS microservices architecture
- Ensure that all business critical APIs are fully tested in an automated framework, including functional, integration and performance tests
- Design and support observable and reliable platform systems at scale
- Understands how to build high-throughput APIs and data processing pipelines
- Understands how to design APIs and client libraries that are easy for users to use, while protecting the SLAs of the backend system
- Understands how to build reliable and maintainable systems in a cloud environment
- Able to research and propose new technologies or software patterns to make improvements
- Evangelizes modern software engineering practices, and can speak to the pros and cons of approaches such as microservices vs. monoliths, mono vs. shared repos, containers vs. VMs
- Passion for Indigo’s mission and values
- Can confidently share their technical opinion amongst peers and engineering leadership as well as constructively challenge the opinions of others
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Deep commitment to quality, reliability, scalability and maintainability
- Ability and passion to quickly learn new technologies and industries, staying up-to-date with technology and best practice trends
- Results oriented, demonstrating a passion to release software, while not compromising on quality and being sensitive to the specific needs for the customer and the application’s usability
- Experience implementing complex algorithms at scale
- You’ve been building backend software professionally for 7+ years with a focus on developing internal and/or external APIs
- Deep understanding of API design, including versioning, isolation and microservices (e.g. REST, GraphQL)
- Demonstrated expertise implementing a variety of datastores at scale (e.g. Relational, Key/Value, Graph, Document)
- Experience implementing monitoring, logging and profiling best practices for distributed systems
- Experience designing and documenting internal and external APIs leveraging a documentation framework (e.g. Apiary, Swagger)
- Experience with deployments to cloud environments (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Azure)
- Experience with containerization (e.g. Docker)
- Experience with version control (e.g. git, GitLab)
- Can create fast, reliable, testable and documented code that others can understand
- Can effectively manage expectations of both sr. engineering leadership and Carbon key stakeholders
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and can achieve timely consensus regarding technical decisions within your team and across the Carbon organization
- You bring a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and self awareness
We’re building the technology to feed the world and fight climate change. We believe that through teamwork we can achieve more to benefit all of agriculture: from farmers to consumers to the planet.
Game changers don't fit in a box. The requirements listed above are examples of what we think enables success in this role, but we recognize the impossibility of fully capturing a singularly perfect description, and we believe in the power of diversified and creative displays of skills and qualifications. We embrace the unconventional. We embrace creativity. We embrace a challenge to the status quo. If the specifications in the list above aren’t an exact match… great! Apply, be you, and be proud that you aren’t ordinary (we certainly aren’t!).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Generous time off
- Parental leave
- A remote-first organization with flexible work hours
- Catered Lunches
- Commuter benefits
- 401(k) plan