DevOps Engineer (Remote)
Civic Actions · Remote (USA)Engineering Partners & Advocates Public Service & Civic Engagement Posted 1 month ago
CivicActions is a dedicated, fun-loving team, looking for talented folks to help us bring revolutionary digital services to government agencies and the people they serve.
We are a service and user-oriented group, focused on engineering robust software delivery infrastructure, automation, processes, and teams. The things we build will play an integral role in developing and supporting digital services for federal and state government agencies to help them serve the public better.
This position is remote (work from home) and requires US Citizenship and a background investigation for federal security clearance.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
For these positions, we need people with experience in a combination of the following:
- Understand business goals and communicate technical options, as well as anticipate and surface challenges and opportunities
- Continuous integration & continuous deployment (e.g. Jenkins, Gitlab CI)
- Infrastructure-as-code based configuration management (e.g. Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation)
- Amazon Web Services, Docker and/or Kubernetes environments
- Agile development with cross-functional teams (users, UX designers, developers, product managers, security and compliance)
- Creating and maintaining documentation for infrastructure, operations and compliance
- Understanding of systems and network architecture and security
- Breaking down complex problems into understandable and iterative solutions
- Site reliability engineering and on-call rotation, continuous monitoring concepts and alerts management
- Managing a host of diverse free software technologies on cloud hosting environments including GNU/LINUX, RedHat/CentOS, Apache, Nginx, Gitlab, Jenkins, MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Solr, Django, Rails, Node.js, Go, PHP, Drupal, Ilias, Moodle and many others
- Server hardening and least privilege experience is a plus
- Compliance experience (FISMA, RMF, 800-53) is a plus
- Previous federal security clearance is a plus
- Security certification (e.g., Security+, CCSP, CISSP, ...) is a plus
$90,000 - $125,000 Annually
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We excel in our benefits offering and believe that people who are well taken care of can be more balanced, healthy and happy. We offer 100% company-paid medical insurance, disability insurance, and life insurance. We have a generous 401(k) program. We have an open vacation policy -- employees are encouraged to take time off as needed to feel balanced, productive and healthy. We have paid parental leave. We have an annual all-hands retreat to connect with each other in person. We also emphasize professional development and offer an annual stipend.
Community participation is important to us and we ask that you spend 5% of your working time giving back to a community that you care about. We attempt to keep our work products 'open by default'. This means that it is our intention that your work contributions during your time at CivicActions will be published under public license, enabling you to bring your passion fully into your activities without the fear that your expressions will be locked away or prevented from having a positive impact in the world.
CivicActions is a digital services firm building elegant and accessible government services for everyone.
We are passionate civic designers and developers specializing in free and open source agile software development, user-centered design, security/compliance and open data.
We lead the efforts behind Agile Government Leadership (AGL) and Project DKAN. AGL brings together public sector IT leaders to help understand and implement Agile project management practices within government. Project DKAN is the global open source project that manages development and direction for the DKAN open data platform.
In 2017, 2018 and 2019 CivicActions was named to Government Technology’s esteemed GovTech 100 list.
We find strength and inspiration in the things that make each of us unique. In striving for a more diverse team, we strongly encourage women, people of color, and people who are physically-challenged to apply.