Software Engineer, Tooling
OpenAI · San Francisco, CAEngineering Partners & Advocates Posted 3 weeks ago
OpenAI is building the robotics software platform of the future: a software stack built from the ground up for learning-based robots, enabling the fusion of AI and robotics. Over the next few years, our goal is to build a general purpose robot that can carry out a wide variety of tasks (see our recent work on solving Rubik’s Cube with a robot hand). We believe such a robot needs to be continuously learning and adapt to changes in its environment. You will be part of designing and implementing new software abstractions, research tooling, and inventing the future of robotics.
We’re looking for generalist software engineers with a passion for building great research and engineering tooling for learning-based robotics. You’ll have experience in building developer tools for accelerating engineering teams. Your responsibilities will be centered around designing and building the next-generation robot platform used for our research. Your projects will include designing, implementing and deploying infrastructure services and interfaces (mostly in Python), and diagnostics and calibration tooling.
We look for a track record of the following:
- 2+ years of industry experience designing, implementing, owning and shipping developer tooling.
- Debug problems across the stack, such as user interfaces, networking issues, kernel configuration, latency spikes, or memory leaks.
Some of the things we value in each other:
- Self-direction and ability to identify high-impact projects and directions.
- Interest in designing great interfaces and abstractions, and iterating to validate results.
- Ownership over problems end-to-end with willingness to pick up whatever knowledge you're missing to get the job done.
- Detail orientedness, but with ability to balance speed and perfection to deliver results.
We’re not looking for prior experience in robotics or machine learning, but you should be excited about these domains. We encourage members of our team to grow in areas aligned with our team goals, and every Thursday is dedicated for learning (read more about Learning Day on our blog).
We’re building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)
- Parental leave
- Flexible work hours
- Lunch and dinner each day
- 401(k) plan