User Experience Designer
Azavea · Philadelphia, PA or Remote
Design + UX
Partners & Advocates
Food & Agriculture
Public Service & Civic Engagement
Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development
$80000 - $110000 Per YearPosted 2 weeks ago
User Experience Design (UX)
Azavea is looking for a mid to senior-level User Experience Designer to join our User Experience Team. You will design modern web applications that support empirically determined user needs and behaviors. Our projects vary considerably but are generally oriented around workflows involving location data and maps. We value diversity and encourage and welcome qualified candidates from all backgrounds and walks of life. Azavea is a remote-friendly workplace, with a mix of Philadelphia-area and remote employees.
Azavea designs and builds geospatial software to address some of the biggest challenges facing our society and planet: climate change, energy, infrastructure, democracy, forests, and water. As a certified B Corporation, our purpose is to create state-of-the-art open-source software tools and apply them for civic, social, and environmental impact. Our clients include cities, federal agencies, nonprofits, philanthropies, and commercial organizations across the region, nation, and world. Today, we are building software to bring transparency to the apparel supply chain, project wildfire risk, assess COVID vulnerability, empower electoral redistricting, measure stormwater runoff, and support urban forests.
Azavea is, among other things…
- A company committed to introspection, inclusion, and impact.
- A culture that emphasizes healthy work-life balance, including flexible work schedules, parental leave, and fun, optional after-work events.
- A roster of smart, caring, fascinating people across a range of roles, all interested in doing the work to make the world a better place.
- A user experience team eager to welcome you into their ranks, ally with you, and provide any help you need.
- Pre- and post-pandemic: A brightly lit, bike-friendly, spacious Philadelphia office close to public transit and Reading Terminal Market, with a large space for community events.
User Experience at Azavea
User Experience professionals at Azavea – including Strategists, Designers, and Engineers – have a seat at every table and are involved in projects from start to finish. From initial proposals, through discovery and design, and throughout implementation, we are there. We partner with clients, PMs, engineers, and analysts to unpack problems and craft custom, user-centered web applications that help users solve them. We bring a range of skills to the job, across the spectrum of research, design, and development. And we constantly learn – directly from the work, from 10% projects, and from cross-team initiatives like our DEI Council and our Fun Committee.
What you'll do
- Design user-centered, accessible, responsive web apps that support user needs and business goals
- Ideate, sketch, wireframe, mock, prototype — and present your work to colleagues and clients
- Collaborate with user experience strategists to conduct discovery research into user needs, behaviors, and expectations
- Collaborate with user experience engineers to polish the front-ends they build based on your designs
- Coordinate current and future work with project managers, software engineers, data analysts, and business development colleagues
- Have strong opinions when contributing ideas and participating in discussions, design critiques, and client meetings
- Clearly communicate ideas, intentions, and designs to clients and colleagues
- Support diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) objectives and initiatives through training and learning sessions, team discussions, volunteer opportunities, or other projects that seek to incorporate a DEI focus into company culture and work
Skills and Qualifications
- Substantial understanding of modern UX principles and responsive, accessible web app design patterns
- Comfortable grasp of visual design fundamentals
- Proficiency in modern design software such as Sketch or Figma
- Portfolio that clearly showcases your abilities and experiences
- Desire to continually evolve your user-centered design skills
- Solid communication skills and the ability to work within a team environment
Helpful, but not necessary
- Visual/graphic design expertise
- User experience research expertise
What you can expect
During the COVID pandemic, we are all working remotely, but our Philadelphia headquarters is located in a brightly lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market, and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, we have in-house bike parking, showers, and lockers. The office itself is assembled as an open office plan with several smaller rooms for team meetings and concentration time. We have flex-time to deal with personal stuff, and most people work a 40 - 45 hour week on a regular schedule. After the first six months, our staff can also spend up to 10% of their time on an open-source, professional development, or R&D project. Recent 10% time projects include experiments with machine learning, new libraries, product development, and data science techniques.
We offer a salary commensurate with skills and experience. We anticipate the starting salary for a mid to senior-level User Experience Designer to be between $80,000 and $110,000. Our benefits package includes:
- Fully subsidized health care, dental, prescription plan, including for spouse/partner and children
- Fully subsidized life and long term disability insurance, plus voluntary short term disability insurance
- Medical reimbursement plan to cover what the health insurance does not
- Retirement plan with matching percentage
- Almost 4 weeks paid vacation plus sick/personal time off
- Family and medical leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Child care subsidy
- Paid time off for voting and volunteering
- Education assistance plan
- Student loan assistance
- Public transit and biking reimbursement plans
- Monthly lunches on the house
- 10% time for Research or Training Projects
- Profit-sharing bonus plan
- Financial transparency through an open book policy
- Kind, capable, and thoughtful colleagues
We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status, or domestic partner status.
Please include a link to your portfolio – along with any other materials you think relevant.