Software Engineer, Geospatial Applications Team
Azavea · Philadelphia, PA
Partners & Advocates
Food & Agriculture
Public Service & Civic Engagement
Poverty Alleviation & Economic DevelopmentPosted 2 weeks ago
Google Cloud Platform
We are looking for a Software Engineer at the Engineer II or III level (mid-level) who is passionate about building applications that will have a positive impact.
- At the Engineer II level, an individual will take on tasks of increasing complexity without sacrificing efficiency or quality, demonstrate understanding of how their work fits into the bigger picture, exhibit a growth mindset by being responsive to feedback, and will be capable of leading features or projects.
- At the Engineer III level, an individual will demonstrate expert competency within their primary area of expertise; own large, cross-cutting features or entire projects with minimal oversight; build relationships with and consensus amongst various stakeholders; and clearly communicate complex technical concepts to a wide range of audiences.
Ideal candidates are interested in public service, but not necessarily in working for a government or a non-profit organization. We are interested in hiring someone located in Philadelphia or in the Philadelphia metro region to facilitate some amount of in-person work from our office, although we are very flexible about working from home. Compensation aligns with the Philadelphia metro region. We’re excited about what we do, we’re growing, and we hope you will join us.
Skills & Requirements
As a Software Engineer on the Geospatial Applications team, you’ll be working alongside other engineers, project managers, and user experience designers to develop custom web software for our clients. Lately, we’ve been developing tools to conduct remote street tree inventories and doing a fair bit of work in the civic space. Our team maintains DistrictBuilder, an open-source, collaborative redistricting tool that will support redistricting using 2020 Census data, and the Cicero API, an Azavea product that provides access to a comprehensive database of elected officials and legislative districts.
What you'll do:
- Write code to create APIs and web applications based on visual designs.
- Create interactive data visualizations in our applications using maps, charts, and graphs.
- Model relational data and develop data processing pipelines.
- Engage in multidisciplinary work that applies an agile process.
- Support Azavea’s diversity, equity, and inclusion objectives through training and learning sessions, team discussions, volunteer opportunities, or other projects.
- Contribute to both a growing company and to the open-source communities that support our work.
- Have experience building applications using a modern web backend framework like Django, Rails, or Express.
- Demonstrate proficiency with core web technologies (HTML/CSS/JS) and a modern web frontend framework like React, Vue, or Angular.
- Be familiar with using and querying relational databases like PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- Have a growth mindset and be excited to learn new technologies and skills.
- Be comfortable with the command line and working in a Linux or UNIX environment.
- Have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Be interested in working with small teams on meaningful projects.
Additional experience we find valuable (but not required):
- Familiarity with open source or commercial GIS software like Leaflet, Mapbox GL JS, PostGIS, or ArcGIS Server.
- Experience with a GitHub-based workflow that includes pull requests and code reviews.
- Delivering and operating applications using cloud platforms like AWS, GCP or Heroku.
- Working with virtualization technology or containers.
- Making technical decisions and owning outcomes.
You’ll notice that we don’t cite N years of experience or a Computer Science degree as requirements. Formal credentials like these are valuable, but we are primarily looking for people who have gained experience successfully building web applications that have seen real-world use. If you think this description fits you, even if your experience doesn't match up perfectly with the technologies we've listed, we encourage you to apply. We do not use automated resume screening technology, and our employees review all applications that we receive.
Office and Benefits
Our Philadelphia headquarters is located in a brightly lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market, and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, we have in-house bike parking, showers, and lockers. The office itself is arranged as an open office plan with many smaller rooms for team meetings and concentration time. You get your own desk with a high-end Linux workstation or Apple laptop and extra monitors. We have flex-time to deal with personal stuff, and most people work a 40 - 45 hour week on a regular schedule. After the first six months, our staff can also spend up to 10% of their time on an open source, professional development, or R&D project. Recent 10% time projects include experiments with machine learning, React Native, and various forms of serverless processing with Amazon Lambda.
We offer a salary commensurate with skills and experience. Azavea's starting salaries for Software Engineer II and III range from $80,000-$117,000. Our benefits package includes:
- Fully subsidized health care, dental, prescription plan, including for spouse/partner and children
- Fully subsidized life and long term disability insurance, plus voluntary short term disability insurance
- Medical reimbursement plan to cover what the health insurance does not
- Retirement plan with matching percentage
- Almost 4 weeks paid vacation plus sick/personal time off
- Family and medical leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Child care subsidy
- Paid time off for voting and volunteering
- Education assistance plan
- Student loan assistance
- Public transit and biking reimbursement plans
- Monthly lunches on the house
- 10% time for Research or Training Projects
- Profit-sharing bonus plan
- Financial transparency through an open book policy
- Kind, capable, and thoughtful colleagues
We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status, or domestic partner status.