Center for Policing Equity · Los Angeles, CA/New York, NY/RemoteEngineering Partners & Advocates Human Rights & Equality Posted 1 month ago Claim this company
About the Center for Policing Equity
The Center for Policing Equity uses evidence-based approaches to social justice problems and conducts research to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
The Center for Policing Equity is looking for a skilled IT Specialist with a passion for social justice issues.
The IT Specialist will provide general IT support to a diverse, growing, and geographically distributed organization. Importantly, this position will specifically be responsible for supporting the team responsible for producing analytic reports based on CPE’s National Justice Database. The NJD is the first and largest collection of standardized police behavior in the country (e.g., vehicle stops, pedestrian stops, use of force, complaints against officers, etc.). The IT Specialist will support the data scientists and data managers who develop and use a codebase that audits, standardizes, cleans, and analyzes these data with the ultimate goal to help police departments reduce bias and increase procedural justice and legitimacy.
The IT Specialist will collaborate closely with colleagues from multiple teams who collect, manage, and use NJD data.
- Support the use of a proprietary Docker image to facilitate local, automated wrangling and analysis of policing data belonging to the NJD
- Assess infrastructure and tools on a regular basis to ensure necessary demands are met (e.g., advise on necessary technical specifications needed to run research software)
- Develop new strategies and IT procedures to increase efficiency, enhance workflow and improve customer satisfaction
- Assist with the remote installation and management of new hardware and software and help train employees on its use
- Asset management
- Excellent IT, communication, leadership and time management skills
- Proven track record of maintaining IT structural integrity
- Working knowledge of Windows and Mac
- Superior attention to detail
- Proactive in surfacing problems and finding solutions
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate about social justice issues
Other Relevant Qualifications (desired, but not required)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related field
- Experience with Linux
- Industry certifications and memberships
- Experience setting up a database or Apache
- Scripting experience
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please visit the following link to submit.
Please submit the following materials to apply:
- Cover Letter
Please be sure to label each PDF file by including your name. For example, your submitted CV should be labeled, “LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME.CV.pdf.”