Data Analyst Manager
Center for Policing Equity · Los Angeles, CA/Washington, DCData + Analytics Partners & Advocates Human Rights & Equality Posted 3 weeks ago Claim this company
Data Analyst Manager (Full-Time)
Los Angeles or DC preferred
About The Center For Policing Equity
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is a research and action think tank that, through evidence-based approaches to social justice, conducts research and uses data to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
The Center for Policing Equity is looking for a skilled Data Analyst Manager with a passion for social justice. The Data Analyst Manager will supervise a growing team of quantitative analysts working on technical reports for police departments that have contributed their data to the National Justice Database (NJD). The NJD is the first and largest standardized database on police behavior in the country (e.g., vehicle stops, pedestrian stops, use of force, calls for service). The technical reports provided to departments include analyses and data-driven recommendations, with the ultimate goals of reducing racially burdensome policing and empowering police departments to improve relationships with the communities they serve.
The Data Analyst Manager will also ensure that NJD analytic plan and methodologies are robust and responsive to the needs of police departments and the communities they serve. The Manager will also oversee the development of distinct analytic plans for police departments that provide specialized services (e.g. highway patrols, public transportation law enforcement) or protect public safety in unique jurisdictions (e.g. university campuses).). The position incumbent will also work closely with the Senior Research Methodologist to provide input on the development of a functioning database, which may include managing contractors tasked with developing a comprehensive data query and management system for NJD data. The successful candidate will need to bring a creative mindset, detail-oriented focus, and strategic acumen in their approach to the oversight of the Data Analysts.
- Supervise a team of analysts, providing them with direction, guidance, and support in executing analyses outlined in the National Justice Database analysis plan
- Develop analytic adaptations to address the needs and requests of unique NJD police department
- Develop processes to improve effective data reporting
- Oversee the delivery of all code and syntax developed to conduct the analyses; update code to internal CPE software for automatic data processing and analyses
- Monitor the performance of data pre-processing/wrangling tasks to prepare the data for analysis
- Supervise the production of compelling data visualizations
- Oversee regular training for current Data Analysts, as well as assist with interviewing, onboarding, and training of new Data Analysts
- Monitor the set-up of regression models and the Data Analyst interpretation of the results
- Supervise quality assurance checks to ensure there are no errors in the analyses or the interpretation of the output
- Background in statistics/data science with specific experience in performing multiple regression, multilevel (hierarchical) modeling, and Bayesian inference
- Highly proficient in R with at least intermediate skills in Python Python
- Ability to produce markdown notebooks with Jupyter and/or RMD/Knitr
- Expertise in interpreting syntax across statistical software platforms (including, but not limited to, R, Python, SAS, Stata, and SPSS)
- Experience working with geographic data (GIS shapefiles; desired, but not required)
- Ability to explain analysis findings in clear terms that can be understood by non-technical audiences
- Familiarity with administrative dataset cleaning and merging
- Comfort with collaboration across a geographically distributed team
- Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) certified (or equivalent; this may be completed after an offer has been extended)
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. However, applications received after February 14, 2020 will receive delayed consideration. To apply, please submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
- Cover Letter
Please be sure to label each PDF file by including your name. For example, your submitted CV should be labeled, “LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME.CV.pdf.”