NPR · Washington, DCEngineering Arts & Culture Posted 1 month ago Claim this company
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR and its network of over 270 member stations across the nation are migrating to a new content management system. This complex, multi-year effort will require an experienced Software Engineer to build out additional platform capabilities in both the front- and back-end, as well as to integrate with additional back-end services as required. This individual will join a cross-functional Scrum team consisting of 4 other software engineers, a product manager, technical program manager, designer, and Scrum Master who are working on this project. The new content management system is based on the Java-based Brightspot CMS offering; individuals applying for this role should be comfortable with working within vendor platforms.
You can find out more about a day in the life of a Software Engineer at NPR online at this link.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Participate in daily stand-ups and other scrum activities (e.g. grooming, planning, demos and retrospectives) as required.
- Contribute high-quality, documented code in accordance with department standards, best practices and processes based on self- and team-assigned stories.
- Create software technical designs and incorporate feedback from others.
- Provide constructive feedback of software designs and code written by peers.
- Participate in code deployments to QA, UAT and production systems.
- Follows along and may troubleshoot production issues that occur.
- Join the developer “on-call” rotation after approximately 3 months.
- May assist in the training and onboarding of staff new to the team and/or project.
- May interview prospective employment candidates.
Required Technology Skills:
- Fluent in Java.
- Fluent in relational databases, such as MySQL.
- Experience in front-end web application development.
- Experience working with a version control system (Git preferred).
- Experience adding and maintaining features within a large codebase (ideally written in Java).
- Familiarity with integrating with external API's / Services.
- Experience developing features on an Agile / Scrum team.
Other Required Skills:
- Creativity, initiative, thirst for innovation and acute attention to detail.
- Vigor for crafting well-tested, well-documented and elegantly structured code.
- Passion for standards-based web development and polyglot programming.
- Honesty, friendly attitude and good sense of humor.
Bonus Points For:
- Java 8 constructs including Lambdas and Streams.
- Experience in cloud technologies such as AWS or GCP.
- Familiarity with webpack, gulp.js, or SystemJS.
- Every additional programming language and framework you are fluent in (Python, TypeScript, PHP, etc.).
- Exposure to document databases, such as DynamoDB and Elasticsearch.
- Experience with Docker or Kubernetes.
- Experience working with Content Management Systems.
Special Note about this Position
- There are two openings for this team, and mid-level and senior level candidates will be considered for both openings. It may appear twice on the website; candidates need not apply to both to be considered for both.
- This is a grant-funded position through September 2022. While we cannot guarantee this today, there is a high likelihood of extension or conversion to a permanent role prior to the end of the grant period. Please ask the recruiter or hiring manager any additional questions about this.
Interested in Applying?
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.