Associate Software Engineer - Full Stack
The New York Stem Cell Foundation · New York, NYEngineering Health & Well-Being Posted 1 week ago Claim this company
The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a rapidly growing and highly successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures through stem cell research.
NYSCF is seeking an Associate Software Engineer to join our multi-disciplinary team in the development of Laboratory Information Management Software (LIMS) used alongside the NYSCF Global Stem Cell Array™, a robotic system that automates both iPSC derivation and downstream differentiations and assays. The Associate Software Engineer will be responsible for developing web applications and services that automate, optimize and track laboratory workflows, enable data pipelines from acquisition through analysis, and ultimately empower our scientists in their research.
This position will report to the Sr. Staff Software Engineer, and will work both independently and as a team on a wide range of exciting projects. The role will involve close collaboration with fellow members of the Array team, which consists of biologists, automation engineers, data scientists and project managers.
What you'll do
- Learn the ins and outs of a state-of-the-art stem cell research laboratory, collaborate directly with biological and data scientists and end users to understand their needs and transform concept into code
- Employ the full stack to design and develop user facing web applications and background services from the ground up
- Translate and refactor existing desktop applications to a modern web stack
- Design and maintain highly robust relational database structures, develop stored procedures, functions, triggers and indexes
- Integrate with 3rd party web services and laboratory instrumentation using API libraries, drivers and daemons
- Develop highly complex SQL queries and data reporting/visualization tools, provide intuitive data insights for scientific and administrative teams alike
- Adapt to the fast-paced, evolving nature of NYSCF’s Research Institute, rise to meet the demands of increasingly complex technical projects
- Apply best practices in a feedback-centric, agile software engineering team to ultimately produce clean and highly optimized code
What we're looking for
- Experience building and integrating APIs is a plus
- BSc in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or a related field
- Excellent communication skills, able to convey highly complex concepts in both technical and non-technical termsSelf-starting and quick-learning, able to operate both independently and collaboratively
- Enthusiasm in their work, stem cell research and all things technological
- Experience working in a laboratory environment is a plusExperience working with or for a nonprofit is a plus
NYSCF is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. It ensures equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.