New Jersey Office of Innovation + Lab · Newark, NJDesign + UX Public Service & Civic Engagement Posted 1 month ago Claim this company
The New Jersey State Office of Innovation was created by Governor Phil Murphy in August, 2018 with the appointment of Dr. Beth Simone Noveck as the State's first-ever Chief Innovation Officer.
Founded with the mandate to improve the lives of New Jerseyans by designing and deploying more effective and efficient government services, the Office of Innovation works in partnership with the Governor’s Office and State agencies to create innovative policies and technologies that address complex public problems by working differently: we apply data science and public engagement to understand problems, and use the latest digital technologies combined with strategic policies to develop solutions that improve services while also reducing costs for the State and the taxpaying public.
Our team is made up of dedicated and energetic individuals with experience in government, civic tech, and policy. We are passionate about transforming the way government operates, and we support State agencies in innovating and improving the lives of all New Jerseyans. We are looking to expand our team with experienced tech, government, and policy experts who share our passion and want to partner with teams throughout the state to design and deploy world-class innovative and digital services that solve pressing public interest challenges for the people of New Jersey. The team uses modern practices to deliver innovative solutions involving tech, talent, process, and policy with the support of the Governor, Chief Innovation Officer, and other senior leadership.
Joining Our Team
If you have significant hands-on experience designing and delivering modern, digital solutions and policy in complex environments, in a startup, or for very large user communities, we’d love to hear from you as we are actively seeking team members with these backgrounds who can dive into our current projects.
The areas we cover will expand over time, and have included:
- Creating tools to enable the public to participate in open policy making
- Making modern career services and digital tools available to support job seekers in identifying, preparing for, and obtaining family-sustaining jobs
- Improving the way entrepreneurs and business owners start, operate, and grow their businesses in the state
- Exploring policy innovation on issue areas such as economic development, technology governance, open data, open governance, autonomous vehicles, broadband, workforce development and more
As a member of our team, you will wear many hats and have the opportunity to shape our team and contribute to new initiatives as they get started. Team members should be prepared and excited to:
- Join agile, cross-functional teams to develop solutions that meet the needs of real people
- Succeed in a highly ambiguous environment with little definition or structure
- Maintain strong domain expertise in their own role while jumping into other roles as needed
- Acknowledge and overcome constraints as they arise
- Collaborate with stakeholders in domains beyond technology such as legal, policy, and administrative roles
- Be committed and know how to develop metrics and experiments to test what works
- Enable the long-term success of our partners throughout the state
- Contribute to the overall development and success of the Office of Innovation and project team
- Navigate complex situations to deliver meaningful, impactful results for users, stakeholders, and teammates
Product Designer Roles
Product designers who are ready to roll up sleeves and run different parts of the design process. Designers lead end-to-end research through execution of UX and UI using modern practices and tools to arrive at key insights and solutions that can be iteratively developed by the team and tested with users. As part of the team, designers:
- Lead the end-to-end human-centered design and research process for a key project
- Work with stakeholders to define the problem and create + execute a research plan
- Use both human-centered and data-driven research methodologies to generate insights and key learnings
- Design prototypes such as mockups and wireframes of varying fidelity to share with team members, stakeholders and users
- Work closely with developers to bring designs to life and iteratively improve solutions