Staff Software Engineer
Code for America · San Francisco, CA/Remote (USA)Engineering Public Service & Civic Engagement Partners & Advocates $120000 - $160000 Posted 1 month ago Claim this company
Code for America builds technology to help government services work for the people who need them most.
Code for America’s Software Engineers are involved in all stages of our products’ lifecycle: product prototyping, developing features in response to user feedback, and operating technical systems at scale. We practice agile, iterative development, working closely with product managers, designers, researchers and users. Some of our current and past projects include:
- GetCalFresh: improve how government delivers food assistance to families in need.
- Integrated Benefits: simplify how Americans access safety net services.
- Get Your Refund: deliver cash support through free, high quality online tax help
- Clear My Record: give people a second chance to get jobs and housing by clearing past convictions.
- Code for America Network: connect a national alliance of community organizers, developers, and designers.
You’ll be assigned to work full time on one of our active product teams, and may have the opportunity to rotate to other teams in the future.
We work with well-known and reliable technologies like Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, and AWS. We’re a collaborative team with a sharp focus on user needs and driven by making a meaningful difference in the lives of the people we serve. The ideal teammate is an engineer who focuses on user impact and reliable technology and will help us scale both technology and the team.
We are seeking multiple software engineers with different levels of experience to grow our team. If the Staff Software Engineer level does not seem like the right fit, please check out our Senior Software Engineer (4+ years experience) opening.
This position is full-time, based in our office in San Francisco or remote within the U.S., and reports to one of our Engineering Managers.
In this position you will:
- Craft new features that help users more easily navigate government services and receive a dignified experience.
- Write automated tests and develop monitoring strategies to ensure a high level of service quality.
- Implement minimal features to maximize learning, and then harden features to scale when we know they work.
- Pair program with your teammates to design and deliver clean, reliable, and maintainable solutions to user problems. We like keeping communication high and the cost of change low.
- Interact with and help users yourself to better understand their experiences.
- Interested in the mission of making government services better for people who need them most.
- At least 7 years experience building software professionally, including at least 4 years of web development experience
- Understanding of computer science and web fundamentals, from data structures to APIs.
- Eager in collaborating with others, receiving mentorship, and teaching others.
- Willing to participate in all aspects of software development. You plan, code, test, deploy, monitor, and fix bugs.
- Can write understandable, testable, and maintainable code.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You have personal experience with the justice system, social safety net, workforce training, or other mission-relevant government services.
- You are familiar with and comfortable with pair programming and test driven development (We don’t pair all the time, but we find it really helpful in lots of contexts!)
- Experience with one or more of the technologies we use, such as Ruby on Rails, Java Spring, Django, Terraform, and AWS cloud services.
Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from $120,000 to $160,000 in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we target the median for all new hires. The median for this role is $145,000. Benefits
Code for America offers full health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun. About Code for America
Our employees build and transform government services making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, non-profit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for both government and the people government serves, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America you contribute to interesting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Come help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.