Manager / Sr. Manager, Data Science - Direct Marketing
Oportun · San Carlos, CA/Frisco, TXData + Analytics Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Posted 4 weeks ago Claim this company
Oportun is a mission-driven, technology-powered provider of inclusive, affordable financial services and a certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI).
We seek to serve the 100 million people in the US who are shut out of the financial mainstream because they are credit invisible or are mis-scored because they have limited credit history. By lending money to hardworking, low-to-moderate income individuals, we help them move forward in their lives, demonstrate their creditworthiness, and establish the credit history they need to access new opportunities.
Since 2006, we have lent over $6.8 billion through over 3.1 million affordable small dollar loans and have helped over 730,000 people start establishing credit. In recognition of inventive approach, we were recognized by Time Magazine as one of 50 Genius Companies inventing the future.
The Bay Area News Group recognized Oportun as a Top Workplace in 2019. Come and be a part of our community of employees, partners, and customers who are devoted to expanding financial opportunity for millions. When we work together, we can make life better.
ABOUT RISK MANAGEMENT @ OPORTUN
We are growing our world-class team of mission-driven risk managers who are passionate about broadening financial inclusion by untapping insights from alternative data. Be part of the team responsible for developing and running Oportun’s marketing optimization platform that leverage Oportun’s core intellectual property for scoring risk for underserved consumers that often lack a traditional credit score or are mis-scored by traditional credit bureaus. In this role you will be working with large and diverse alternative data sets and machine learning to execute multi-product and multi-channel marketing programs. You will also drive growth and optimize marketing spend across multiple products and channels by leveraging alternative data to help predict which consumers would likely be interested in one of Oportun’s affordable, credit building lending products.
We are growing our world-class team of mission-driven, entrepreneurial Data Scientists who are passionate about broadening financial inclusion by untapping insights from credit and non-credit bureau data. Be part of the team responsible for developing and enhancing Oportun’s core intellectual property used in scoring risk for underserved consumers that often lack a traditional credit bureau score or are mis-scored by traditional credit bureaus.
In this role you will be working with large and diverse alternative data sets (i.e. data from dozens of sources including transactional, mobile, utility, other financial services, etc..) utilizing machine learning to build scores and strategies for target direct marketing campaigns (Direct Mail, Digital, etc.). You will also drive growth and optimize marketing spend across channels by leveraging alternative data to help predict which consumers would likely be interested in Oportun’s affordable, credit building products.
- Develop targeting response and risk models used to market affordable and inclusive financial products to underserved consumers that often lack a traditional credit bureau score or are mis-scored by traditional credit bureaus.
- Build a consumer centric marketing engine to optimize marketing spend across different channels (media mixed marketing) such as direct mail, paid search, display, video, radio and affiliates.
- Build scalable rapid learning pipeline leveraging advanced techniques and tools
- Build end-to-end reusable pipelines from data acquisition to model output delivery
- Lead initiatives to drive business value from start to finish including project planning, communication and stakeholder management
- Develop actionable tools, strategies, analysis and insights that drive business outcomes and communicate findings with well organized presentations
- Recommend analytic solutions to increase Oportun’s marketable universe and identify profitable prospects
- Discover insights from a myriad of data sources to understand and influence consumer financial behavior
- Build experimental design based testing framework for rapid experimentation and learning
- Design and build marketing data infrastructure by partnering with data and production engineering teams
- Communicate and partner with third party data vendors
- Master’s degree or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering or Economics or other quantitative discipline (Bachelor’s degree with significant relevant experience will be considered)
- 5+ years data science experience preferably with targeting and risk models in FinTech.
- Hands on experience leveraging machine learning techniques such as Gradient Boosting, Clustering, Logistic Regression or Random Forest to solve real world problems
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with data extraction, cleaning, analysis and building reusable data pipelines; Proficient in SQL, Spark SQL and/or Hive
- 3+ years of experience in leveraging modern machine learning toolset and programming languages such as Python, SAS or Scala
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A relentless problem solver and out of the box thinker with a proven track record of driving business results in a timely manner
- Strong stakeholder management and project management skills
- Experience working with AWS EMR, Spark or other cloud based platforms is a plus
- Comfortable in a high-growth, fast-paced and agile environment