The University of Chicago · Chicago, ILDesign + UX Education Posted 4 weeks ago Claim this company
Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.
2010009 BSD - Center for Translational Data Science
About the Unit
The Center for Translational Data Science at the University of Chicago is a research center pioneering the discipline of translational data science to advance biology, medicine, and environmental research. We architect ecosystems of large-scale commons of research data, computing resources, applications, tools, and services for the broader research community to use data at scale to pursue scientific inquiry and accelerate discovery. These growing data commons offer petabytes of rich research data to scientists across the world. This at-will position is wholly or partially funded by contractual grant funding which is renewed under provisions set by the grantor of the contract. Employment will be contingent upon the continued receipt of these grant funds and satisfactory job performance.
Responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing applications, systems architecture, and network infrastructure. Ensures operation and security of all servers and networks. Configures, installs, maintains and upgrades applications and hardware for the organization's infrastructure and for end-user devices.
Career Track and Job Level
Performs and oversees a variety of activities relating to software support and/or development. Oversees technical development projects and the implementation of applications and/or websites. Provides analysis, design, development, debugging, and modification of computer code for applications, beta general releases, and production support. Develops and builds web pages, applications and user interfaces using a variety of software applications, techniques, and tools. New development, break fixes, maintenance, operational support of code and application ecosystem currently in production. Includes overall application administration and integration management.
P2: Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline; still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills. Builds knowledge of the organization, processes and customers. Solves a range of straightforward problems. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
The job performs a variety of activities relating to software support and/or development. Provides analysis, design, development, debugging, and modification of computer code for end user applications, beta general releases, web pages, and production support. Troubleshoots problems using existing procedures to find a possible solution.
1) Investigates, analyzes and resolves day-to-day technical problems using standard procedures., 2) Works with stakeholders to gather and analyze requirements for developmental programs. Receives a moderate level of guidance to design applications to meet University and business requirements., 3) Performs code testing on components and works to ensure that appropriate implementation standards are met. Evaluates design alternatives for development cost and solutions using various methods., 4) Supports and maintains existing applications. Works with web developers and responds to requests from users., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) User Research - Determine what actions our users want to carry out on our data portals and develop personas, usage scenarios, and storyboards. Determine common use cases for each scenario in our data commons systems which features a backend API with companion client based tools.
2) User Flow - Define the flow of the user experience when interacting with our portals. Determine which pages and information to highlight on the portal dashboard. Create sitemaps and screen flows.
3) Mood Boards - Create mood boards for colors, iconography, typography based on the needs of each individual commons. Incorporate sponsor logos and branding into the final look and feel when appropriate.
4) High Fidelity Mockups - Create high fidelity mockups of the data portals for the programming teams to implement including all imagery, icons, etc that would be incorporated into the final design.
5) Conduct usability testing, prototypes, and analyze user feedback. Creative ideas must be translated to functional specifications so incumbent will be involved throughout entire development process. Present the design work to a wide range of audiences on our collaborative projects.
6) Weekend/Evening hours are rare, but occasionally needed.
1) Ability to work closely with our programming teams (using React JS and Redux) to create inspiring designs to our data access and submission systems for large-scale data intensive systems.
2) Ability to prioritize and manage workload to meet critical project milestones and deadlines.
3) Ability to process user requests and analyze usage trends into design tasks for implementation.
4) Ability and willingness to acquire new technical skills, analysis methods, and background in research area.
5) Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
6) Ability to take ownership of tasks and work with minimal supervision.
Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) Advanced degree in visual design, communications, computer science, or a related field.
1) Experience with design programs and tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, SketchApp, or LucidChart.
2) Experience in data visualization.
3) Experience working with developers to understand what UI designs are feasible from an engineering perspective.
4) Experience with Section 508 compliance.
5) Experience communicating and presenting to audiences of varying backgrounds.
6) Experience across the full life cycle including designing, architecting, and optimizing.
7) Experience with visual and interaction design demonstrated through a portfolio of examples.
8) Experience gathering and processing user data.
9) Experience working in a biomedical domain.
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.