Senior Data Scientist
Thorn · Remote (US Based)Data + Analytics Human Rights & Equality Posted 3 weeks ago Claim this company
Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be a great fit for our team.
Last year, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet. A key aspect of our work is keeping abreast of the new ways technology is used to sexually exploit and abuse children and building the right technology in response to combat this, as well as building technology to optimize the broader ecosystem combating online child sexual abuse.
About the role:
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will join our small but mighty organization at the early stage of a new team, working together with that team to build and ship a world-class product. You will uncover valuable insights, adding intelligence to our existing and future products. The work you will do will be a combination of finding quick wins and developing longer-term research. You will collaborate closely with Engineering and Product to identify insights and models most valuable to research and implement. You will be responsible for acquiring data, crafting and performing analytical experiments in a disciplined manner, evaluating and iterating on results, and discussing results with your team. When you and the team conclude that the performance of your solution meets expectations, you will partner with members of the Engineering team to deploy your work into a production environment.
What You'll Do:
- Research and develop statistical modeling for data analysis.
- Collaborate with team members to drive understanding of product needs and devise possible solutions.
- Discuss results and ideas with key partners, which will include child victim identification specialists, relevant law enforcement, and technology companies.
- Implement new statistical, or other mathematical methodologies, as needed for specific models or analysis.
- Work with Engineering team members on deploying insights and models and continuous model training and deployment.
- Keep up-to-date with the newest developments in data science and machine learning.
Skills We’re Seeking:
- You have experience in designing, building, and deploying computer vision (traditional and deep learning) applications for production use cases.
- You have a background in data science and statistical analysis.
- You have an ability and interest in learning new technologies quickly.
- You have a passion for machine learning and an aptitude to work in a collaborative environment, can demonstrate empathy and strong advocacy for our users, while balancing the vision and constraints of engineering.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial.
Technologies we use:
You should have at least two years of professional experience with these:
- Tensorflow or PyTorch
You should have non-trivial experience with at least a few of these.
- Scikit Learn
Thorn is a strong and flexible team because of the diverse backgrounds of our staff. This includes professional background, subject matter expertise, culture, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression, language, hobbies, etc. We strongly encourage women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.