Senior Full-Stack Engineer
Thorn · Remote (US Based)Engineering Human Rights & Equality Posted 3 weeks ago Claim this company
Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be a great fit for our team.
In 2019, Thorn was one of eight organizations chosen by TED and the Audacious Project to share in more than $280 million dollars to fund our goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet. Read more about our commitment here.
About the Role:
Thorn is looking to hire Senior Full-Stack engineers for multiple engineering teams building complex systems to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of law officer investigations into domestic child sex trafficking and combat online child sexual abuse.
A few highlights of our engineering team achievements:
- Over the last four years, we’ve built systems that process and connect terabytes of data, allowing law enforcement officers around the world to reduce investigative time by 60%
- 2M+ data points are processed and analyzed per week
- Our work has resulted in the identification of over 14,000 trafficked children and 15,000 traffickers, with an average of 10 children identified every day
- We’ve successfully leveraged some of the most innovative technologies in the industry: read the case studies written by MemSQL about our work
- We’ve partnered with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children to build applications and systems that allow them to identify and recover abused children faster.
What You’ll Do:
- Collaborate with other engineers on your team to build up complex client applications built on top of hundreds of terabytes of data.
- Work closely with the product manager and engineers to define product requirements, and collaborate to devise optimal engineering solutions.
- Create technical specifications, prototypes, and presentations to communicate your ideas.
- Play a critical role in day-to-day coding, code reviews, and troubleshooting production issues.
- Drive technical innovation by researching and incorporating new technologies and tools into our core system.
Skills We’re Seeking:
- You have a commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- You have proficient software development knowledge with experience building, growing, maintaining a variety of products, and a love for creating elegant applications using modern technologies.
- You have experience prototyping, implementing, testing, and deploying code to production.
- You can work with shifting requirements and collaborate with internal stakeholders.
- You have empathy and can be a strong advocate for our users while balancing the vision and constraints of engineering realities.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial, from Slack to pull requests to code reviews.
- You actively level up engineers around you and develop positive mentor/mentee relationships with others on your team
Technologies We Use:
You should have non-trivial experience with React and SQL, but we’re excited about teaching folks that have the desire and ability to learn the rest.
- React / TypeScript
- Node / Express
- Relational databases (MySQL, MemSQL)
- Docker / Kubernetes
Thorn is a strong and flexible team because of the diverse backgrounds of our staff. This includes professional background, subject matter expertise, culture, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression, language, hobbies, etc. We strongly encourage women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.