Senior Software Engineer
BookNook · Remote (USA)Engineering Education Posted 3 weeks ago Claim this company
BookNook is on a mission to reinvent the where, how, and who of small group learning for elementary school students. We offer easy-to-use tools for educators and caring adults, that empower them to provide powerful in-person reading instruction that gets great results. BookNook is a web application that syncs devices so that groups can work together in a coordinated set of rigorous reading exercises.
Once online, groups access a library of algorithmically-recommended custom texts woven together with a structured curriculum and engaging educational games. BookNook also offers a host of customizable reporting features to provide real-time, actionable information to users and educators.
As a Senior Software Engineer at BookNook, you will immediately play an integral role in building out, scaling and optimizing our cloud-based learning platform. You will join our fast-growing team as an early employee that can build and shape the future direction of our services in delivering outstanding user experiences and learning tools.
At BookNook, you will...
- Build, test, scale, support and frequently refine new products and services.
- Own what you build through the entire product lifecycle.
- Tackle a wide variety of coding challenges throughout the stack and contribute to all parts of our code base.
- Build a platform that teachers thousands of children of read every day.
- Be a team player in a small, flat-structured, highly collaborative environment.
- Be surrounded by a great team of highly talented professionals doing the best work of their lives, and having fun with it.
The ideal candidate will have...
- 5+ years of experience of shipping high-quality web-based software
- Deep expertise in backend technologies, including frameworks such as NodeJS or Django, relational databases, SQL, data modeling, API design, testing, performance optimization, etc. We run a Node.js / Postgres stack that leverages Google Firebase for realtime sync.
- Experience deploying and maintaining software in cloud environments. We host our services on Heroku, AWS and Google Cloud.
- Passion for learning and tackling new and exciting technical challenges.
- Someone who cares about the user experience and be driven by solving real-world problems.
- Someone who embraces the agile development process and lean startup approach, grounded in metrics and user data.
- A passion for teaching and our company mission. Many BookNook employees are former educators.
Other types of experience we love (but don't require)...
- Working in a small startup environment.
- Leading a team to build a complex software system that has been successfully delivered to customers.
- Influencing best practices for software engineer teams.
- Communicating with users, technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
What you'll get from us...
- Competitive base salary and equity stake
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- Great work/life balance: Unlimited PTO and generous holiday schedule
Join a company with a mission and a real business. BookNook has been around since 2016, is growing fast and has already helped hundreds of children improve their literacy, especially those that come from the most disadvantaged environments. We're a scrappy, smart team that gets things done but we are strong believers in family, friends and work-life balance. Work on exciting technology and make a real tangible difference in the world every day.