Data Analyst & Front-End Developer
nLine · Berkeley, CA/RemoteData + Analytics Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development Posted 1 month ago Claim this company
nLine works to improve the reach, reliability, and resilience of the world’s most critical infrastructure, including power grids, water systems, and roadway networks. Our initial focus is on improving the reliability of electricity distribution in Sub-Saharan Africa, where power outages are common and repairs are slow. Frequent outages have human consequences, leading to families missing out on the full benefits of refrigeration and lighting, businesses struggling to operate efficiently and enter new markets, and governments lacking data needed to regulate effectively. We use sensors and cloud services to determine when the grid fails and why it fails, reporting what we learn back to utilities, regulators, and the public.
To learn more about nLine, visit our website at nline.io.
If you are passionate about both extracting insights from data and making insights actionable for key stakeholders, and you desire to have a positive impact in the world, consider joining our team of Berkeley Engineering grad students and faculty. We’re looking for a talented individual to oversee the development of nLine’s data visualization systems while supporting our data analytics team in getting data ready for visualization. Your work would start with improving our power outage visualization prototype used by electric utilities and government agencies currently implementing grid improvements, and quickly extend to developing new systems to both help utilities anticipate, identify, and repair outages and enable the public to understand their power quality.
We are seeking a candidate with the following strengths:
- Experience with data analysis in python (using pandas, numpy, and other common tools)
- Experience designing and implementing static and interactive data visualizations
- Ability to take a UI/UX design from a sketch to a production system
- Cares deeply about creating an experience which helps users act on key insights
- Detail-oriented, which a strong aesthetic sense
- Experience with front-end web development in a common web development framework
- Experience using development tools (CLI, Git, testing frameworks, CI/CD)
- Experience interacting with at least one public cloud provider
- Experience interacting with both relational and non-relational databases
- Experience with both RESTFul APIs and Websockets
- Experience with automated testing
- Experience or willingness to learn about mapping services and APIs
- Knowledge or willingness to learn about creating visualization for bandwidth-constrained environments
- We expect successful applicants to have at least a few years of work experience in web development, some experience with data analysis and visualization
- Coursework in statistics and statistical research methods preferred
In addition to strong technical skills, a successful candidate will be excited to be part of a passionate and fast-moving team while able to work independently, possess strong written and verbal communication skills, be energized by a fluid and flexible startup environment, identify and amplify our high-impact mission-oriented culture, and:
- Work effectively with the team to architect the next generation of our technology
- Independently anticipate and solve problems in a time-sensitive manner
- Support, strengthen, and improve nLine’s mission to improve critical infrastructure
- Learn about the infrastructure being monitored and help to develop the best sampling strategies for the most critical performance metrics
- Help define best practices around testing and deployment of new software and software
- Collaborate with sensor designers and stakeholders to create elegant end-to-end solutions
- Positively grow nLine’s company culture into one of diversity, acceptance, and respect
- Help grow the company through recruiting and retaining other excellent employees
- Learn new skills and adapt to using the most appropriate technologies for a given task
- Be excited to learn about the challenges related to deploying technologies in cultures outside of their own
Salary and Benefits
Any job offer will be based on competitive market rates (salary, equity, and benefits) for an engineer with similar qualifications. Additionally, the position would likely come with optional opportunities to travel to the regions in which we are deploying sensors, including Ghana, Kenya, and Sierra Leone.
nLine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. nLine will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other protected group. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.