Business Intelligence Analyst
Oregon State University Foundation · Corvallis, OR/Portland, ORData + Analytics Partners & Advocates Education Posted 4 weeks ago Claim this company
Reporting to the Director of Analytics and Information Systems, the Business Intelligence Analyst is responsible for transforming data into insight to help add value to business decisions and to improve processes in the organization through data analysis and by designing, testing and modifying analytic tools.
- Director of Analytics and Information Systems
- Other analysts
- Advancement Services leadership team
- Internal customers from other departments
Measures of Success
- Develop innovative and agile analytic solutions which support organizational performance
- Increase the organization’s key leaders' abilities to understand, embrace and use business intelligence in decision-making by providing meaningful insight and employing business intelligence ‘best practices’
- Increase the rate of end-user's adoption of data analytic tools to help them make operational and strategic business decisions
Data Analysis and Programming
Generate standard or custom reports summarizing business data for review by decision makers and end users.
Gather relevant data and break it down in a meaningful way to conduct insight analysis to increase data driven action and solutions.
Translate relevant business data needs / requirements into usable specifications for project plans.
Build intuitive dashboards, based on relevant data, to support data-driven decisions.
Maintain and update business intelligence tools, databases, dashboards, systems, or methods.
Synthesize current business intelligence or trend data, analyze data and forecast results based on historical trends and leading indicators to support recommendations for action.
Develop and modify applications/software as needed or as directed by the Director of Analytics and Information Systems.
Train colleagues on the use of data and standard reports to inform decisions.
Maintain and enhance reporting applications to best serve and produce standard reports.
Support systems, applications and databases accessed by OSU Foundation.
Identify reporting issues or issues with the database infrastructure, and inform the Director appropriately.
Ensure analysis complies with standard definitions of organizational data. Document and refine these definitions as needed.
Coordinate with Data Operations to ensure accuracy and accessibility of data loads.
Recommend enhancements to improve efficiency of existing programs and reporting infrastructure.
Generate and perform audits to maintain data security and integrity including monitoring daily post and data warehouse status and performance.
Execute test plans to ensure data accuracy and quality control.
Create a procedure manual and other resource documents to help end-users understand and be able to troubleshoot and resolve problems as needed.
Design and maintain access, security, and practical use of the core suite of reports.
Utilize version control to maintain integrity of source code and provide backup when needed.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Comprehensive knowledge of:
- Data structures, SQL, relational database design
- Data pipelines and orchestration
- Developing complex algorithms to inform business operations
- Programming protocols, client/server, database and web-based technologies and comprehension of technical and vendor documentation
- OSU Foundation and OSU business rules necessary to process and generate reports to best serve the needs of the organization and ensure alignment with core business needs
- System and application skills required and necessary to perform core duties
Proven skill in:
- Visualization creation and delivery using Tableau or similar tool.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, an ability to tell a story through data, even to a non-technical audience, and drive strategic decisions and initiatives
- Attention to detail
Demonstrated ability to:
- Work independently, manage time effectively and efficiently
- Quickly develop prototype design and iteratively refine work
- Work occasional evening and weekend hours, and occasionally work on a “stand by” basis
PHYSICAL WORK REQUIREMENTS include the ability to stand, sit, talk, hear and use hands and fingers using technical devices; use close vision to do pc work; work effectively with moderate office noise; maintain regular, predictable office attendance and / work remotely, as permitted; occasionally work on weekends, after business operating hours and under strict deadlines; engage in regular and ongoing contact with others (face-to-face, by telephone, online video conference call or otherwise); travel by various modes of transportation occasionally requiring overnight and/or weekend stays.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of analytics experience. Preference will be given for possessing experience or knowledge of the following technologies: DBT, Snowflake, SQL Server, Microsoft Dynamics, and Tableau. Education and experience equivalencies will be considered.
OSU Foundation and Alumni Association Core Values
We strive to be one of the best places to work in the country. We know that our success depends in large part on the people who carry out our mission. It’s what we do –and how we do it -- that makes the difference. Our core values reflect our approach to work and to each other, and we are committed to conduct consistent with these values.
collaborative · responsible · respectful · inclusive · innovative