Four Twenty Seven · Berkeley, CA/New York, NYData + Analytics Posted 2 weeks ago Claim this company
Four Twenty Seven is currently seeking a modeler with expertise in Integrated Assessment Models (IAMs) and in translating IAM outputs for a wide range of stakeholders. This role will be situated on the Climate Research Team and report directly to the Managing Director of Research. The Climate Research Team conducts research and analysis on physical and transition climate risk, working with large datasets, conducting statistical analysis, and developing new climate risk indices and products for Four Twenty Seven’s clients.
The modeler will serve as in-house expert on IAMs, working with a broad range of internal stakeholders to support the use of IAMs in Four Twenty Seven’s scenario analysis offering for financial institutions. The ideal candidate will be passionate about making complex models accessible to financial decision makers and facilitating the integration of climate risk considerations into investment and risk management decisions.
This role is a full-time position. Possible locations include Berkeley, CA, New York, NY, London, UK or Paris, France. Other US or EU remote location may also be considered.
- Extract and process IAMs and other models required for scenario analysis
- Collaborate and foster working relationship with relevant academic institutions
- Identify and communicate models strengths and limitations to internal and external stakeholders
- Run models, fine tune assumptions and produce output variables following scenario specifications from the market and regulators (e.g. NGFS) for use by financial and economic research teams
- Monitor scientific developments related to the use of integrated assessment modelling into policy and regulatory decision making
- Contribute to white papers and publications from concept to delivery
The successful candidate will have:
- A master’s or PhD (preferred) in science, economics, policy, or other relevant discipline
- 5+ years of direct experience working with leading IAMs (in-depth knowledge of GCAM, REMIND and/or MESSAGEix is an advantage), within a world class research institution
- Experience with large scale applied economic models, either at sector level or in the general equilibrium framework
- Experience with large-scale data processing (Python or R)
- Experience with programming language required to run open-source IAMs (C++ or equivalent)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate complex, technical issues to non-expert audiences
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and able to juggle multiple deadlines
- Flexibility to work independently as well as with a team and stakeholders spread over multiple time zones
About Four Twenty Seven
Four Twenty Seven (427mt.com), an affiliate of Moody’s, is a leading publisher and provider of data, market intelligence and analysis related to physical climate and environmental risks. Four Twenty Seven provides ondemand analytics and subscription data products to access this unique offering. Our physical climate risk application allows users to explore the climate risk drivers for a single asset or a portfolio of assets, scoring thousands of locations in minutes. We also offer forward-looking climate risk scores for equities, based on an evergrowing database that now includes over one million corporate sites and covers over 2,000 publicly-traded companies globally. Additional datasets include climate risk scores for Real Estate Investment Trusts, sovereigns and U.S. municipalities.
Four Twenty Seven has won multiple awards for its innovative work on climate risk and resilience and our work has been featured by Bloomberg, the Financial Times and the New York Times. Four Twenty Seven was founded in 2012 and is headquartered in Berkeley, California with offices in Washington, DC, Paris, France and Tokyo, Japan, local representatives in London and Sydney.
Four Twenty Seven is an equal opportunity employer with a global culture that embraces diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be unfairly discriminated against on any arbitrary grounds including race, color, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected category.
Applicant must have a work permit for the proposed location (US or EU). This position is not eligible for work visa sponsorship.
This full-time, salaried position is open immediately. We offer a competitive compensation package, attractive benefits, and a flexible work environment among a team of highly motivated individuals with strong team spirit.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘IAM Modeler’. Please name your files in the following manner: ‘First_Last_filename’, e.g. Jane_Smith_Resume.