User Experience Manager
Ford Foundation · New York, NYDesign + UX Partners & Advocates Human Rights & Equality Posted 1 month ago
Ford Foundation is continuing to hire for all open roles with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team, along with our current staff, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Instructions for Internal Applicants:
Attention Current Ford Foundation Employees: To submit an application for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
If you are just joining our Talent Pool, please disregard the instructions for applicants below.
To be considered for employment at Ford Foundation, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments must be submitted for each individual job post for which you are interested in applying. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
The User Experience Manager (UXM) ) is responsible for aligning strategy and operations across the Foundation’s digital platforms, with particular responsibility for the external-facing website, FordFoundation.org, the internal communications platform, the email platform, Mailchimp, and forthcoming CRM.
The position, based in the Office of Communications (OC), works closely with a team of strategists and creative storytellers to ensure that the foundation’s primary digital platform, FordFoundation.org, is an inspiring and high quality resource for the foundation’s key audiences, and has the flexibility to house and facilitate ambitious content and campaigns for maximum engagement and impact. The foundation places a premium on responsiveness and accessibility on our channels and the DOM will play a key role in ensuring we are constantly striving to meet the highest standards and best practice.
The UXM will work closely with colleagues, including the Managing Editor and the Brand and Design Director, to implement an “audience first approach” to content creation, testing and distribution - ensuring that the team is always thinking upfront about the user experience and engagement.
He/she/they will also have responsibility for helping to develop a robust set of metrics and measurements to track audience engagement on the website - to help inform decisions about content creation, curation and marketing. The UXM will have a strong understanding of metrics tools (Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, Sprout Social) and an ability to interpret with clarity for team members.
The UXM will also oversee the maintenance and functionality of the internal communications platform and work with the Internal Communications Manager to ensure it is constantly evolving to meet the needs of internal clients.
Leading projects, managing teams and consultant contracts, along with project-managing multiple simultaneous work streams are all part of the UXM’s skillset. He/she/they will be highly organized, exercise sound judgement, and be highly collaborative with the ability to work with staff at all levels of the foundation. They will also be resilient, resourceful and detail-oriented with an ability to work independently and as a member of a team - and will have a strong commitment to the mission and values of the foundation. They will also have knowledge of, and commitment to, building and maintaining platforms that are accessible to all people.
The UXM is part of a team reporting to the Head of Marketing and Audience Engagement together with the Social Media Strategist and Digital and Accessibility Producer and has one direct report.
- Providing leadership on digital opportunities to advance Ford Foundation and program communication goals and priorities
- Ensuring a unified, cross-channel approach to Ford’s digital ecosystem
- Leading website redesign projects and ongoing evolution of fordfoundation.org
- Working closely with the managing editor on lead development and execution of content strategy for fordfoundation.org
- Providing input to social and digital marketing strategy
- Given the digital environment’s velocity of change, identifying emerging behaviors and technologies that offer new opportunities
- Leading technical strategy; infrastructure, platforms, underlying technologies, integration with internal systems, testing methodologies and related resource allocations
- Collaborating with Ford IT to ensure our digital channels reflect industry best practice and the highest standards of security
- Continuing to develop and expand the accessibility of the foundation’s platforms to all audiences, particularly the sight and hearing impaired
- Leading information architecture of refreshed website and other new Ford Foundation web properties
- Ensuring optimal mobile experience
- Ensuring ongoing improvement and development of intranet platform and working closely with the platform editor
Management and Analysis
- Defining key performance indicators and methods of measurement for FF.org
- Supporting User Research for all digital platforms
- Interpreting data analytics to develop and enhance audience segmentation strategies
- Managing engine search optimization
- Managing engineering projects using Agile software development methodologies
- Advocating for and developing sector standards around data
- Managing digital budget and contracts
- Managing vendors and consultants (across technology, strategy, design and primary research)
Collaboration and Teaming
- Works with program colleagues at all levels to understand grant making goals and strategies to ensure relevance of web materials and to inform innovative uses of digital channel
- Works with OC team on relationship management strategy and execution
- Works with staff across departments and at all levels to advance data integration and data governance goals across foundation
- Minimum of 8 years overall experience in web and interactive development
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working on major digital development projects, from strategy and early conceptual planning through testing and implementation, with proven ability to engage strategic audiences and advance institutional communication goals using digital channels
- Experience with developing and maintaining platforms that have an emphasis on accessibility.
- Complete command of digital strategy development
- Complete command of digital technologies, trends and standards
- Advanced knowledge of project management best practices and techniques
- Experience managing Web site redesigns, ongoing site enhancements and maintenance
- Thorough understanding of non-digital-based communication practices and tools and how to integrate them with digital products and services to ensure a seamless experience across platforms
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Passionate about UX, analyzing business intelligence data, and conducting user testing.
- Excellent vendor relations and communication skills
- Good written, oral communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Must have a demonstrated capacity to create a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Detail-oriented and self-directed
- This position is primarily a sedentary role. However, the person in this position may need to occasionally move about inside the office to liaise with internal staff, access files, office machinery and a copy machine/printer.
Alignment to Culture and Values
- Commitment to the Foundation’s mission and core values of equity, openness, collaboration, trust, accountability and urgency
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and a sense of humor
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues
- Action-orientated and entrepreneurial self-starter who can work well independently and in teams
- Medical and dental benefits for employee and immediate family on first day of work
- Retirement savings account with matching company contributions of up to 13%
- Three weeks’ paid vacation in first year of work; four weeks in subsequent years
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Office closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Professional development initiatives for growth
- Generous parental leave (maternal and paternal) during new child’s first year (born into family or adopted)
Salary: Salary is based on experience and on the Foundation’s commitment to internal equity. A generous benefits package is provided.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at The Ford Foundation, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.