Staff Software Engineer, Backend
Life360 · Remote (USA)Engineering Health & Well-Being Posted 1 week ago
ABOUT LIFE 360
Life360 brings families closer with smart tools designed to protect and connect the people who matter most.
Known for first-to-market solutions for modern family challenges, Life360 recently reached #1 in Apple’s US App Store’s list of free social networking apps. Nearly 1 in 10 US families with kids use Life360 an average of 12 times a day, and global membership is growing exponentially, with over 28 million active users in over 140 countries as of March 31, 2020 — making Life360 the largest mobile service for families in the world.
This reach gives us the opportunity to do unprecedented good for families through our valued core offerings: advanced location sharing, private messaging, driver monitoring, help alerts, 24/7 roadside assistance, and Crash Detection with emergency response. On average we respond to 1,000 roadside assists and dispatch 200+ ambulances each month to those in need.
Offering both free and paid memberships. In addition, the company has raised over $200 million in equity financing, and recently completed an IPO on the ASX exchange — giving our employees the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private growth stage business.
Life360’s rapidly growing team of 150+ employees is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Diego, and Las Vegas.
ABOUT OUR CULTURE AND BENEFITS
Life360 has embraced a work from home (WFH) philosophy for at least the duration of the COVID-19 crisis, along with most of our peers. During this WFH period, the organization remains connected and engaged with virtual team events, weekly all hands meetings and regular open zoom sessions with leadership. While we believe that the work world has likely permanently changed, we have yet to make any decisions about our long-term split between WFH and being in the office
We always offer:
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Health, dental and vision insurance plans
- 401(k) plan
- $200/month Quality of Life perk
- Flexible PTO
- Free Life360 platinum membership for your family circle
- Whatever makes you stronger makes us stronger. We buy you the things you need to improve yourself and get your job done.
All open positions are remote opportunities and when the time comes to return to our offices, we offer the following:
- A great office with plenty of light in the heart of the SOMA district in beautiful San Francisco; a 5 minute walk to CalTrain
- An amazing office location within walking distance to the beach in Encinitas
- In person team building activities, celebratory company outings and fun events
About the Job
- As a Backend Engineer on the Cloud team you will help build new scalable services that power the features of the number one mobile app that provides safety and peace of mind to millions of families.
- You are comfortable maneuvering legacy code bases and enjoy turning them into new state of the art technology, as we are breaking down a PHP monolith into JVM-based microservices on AWS.
- Our cloud team ensures that our API's are able to process tens of thousands of requests a second with the ability to scale 10x. You'll be a very active contributor to our diverse codebase.
- You use automation tools as often as possible, and develop and improve these tools.
- You are comfortable dealing with very large amounts of traffic to the tune of billions of daily API requests
As a member of our Staff engineering group, you
- are a functional specialist that makes impact through either your technical depth or your ability to lead a group of engineers
- are the go-to expert for your function
- have the ability to create and execute quarterly technical goals, lead and vanguard our most complicated - features, and mentor and advance the skills of lower-level engineers.
Education / Experience Requirements:
- 8+ years of software development experience.
- Proficient in JVM languages. This team uses primarily Java (Spring Boot) and Scala (Akka, Lagom); deep knowledge of either is required, of both is great
- Familiarity with PHP, Python, or Go since some of our systems are built using these.
- Excellent understanding of data stores, distributed systems, data modeling and their associated pitfalls.
- 4+ year experience with microservices
- Experience with the AWS environment and its various tools