Senior Backend Engineer
Urban Footprint · Berkeley, CA
UrbanFootprint is a software company that serves the world’s first Urban Intelligence Platform to public and private-sector organizations taking on the urban, climate, and social equity challenges of the 21st century. UrbanFootprint’s data and web-based geospatial software unifies previously siloed climate, environmental, urban, and socio-economic data and helps governments, utilities, financial institutions, and urban and transportation planners to answer fundamental resource questions — where to invest, where to deploy resources, and where to optimize for risk, return, resilience, and community.
Governments and businesses are investing in resilience at an unprecedented level. In the next ten years alone, they will spend over $8T on transitioning to a net-zero economy and building efficient, equitable, and sustainable practices. But they don’t know where to invest. They need clear and precise signals about climate threats and dynamic urban, mobility, and economic trends.
The iconic technology companies of this decade will be those that address social inequality and climate change at scale. This represents a once-in-many-generation opportunity to change the way organizations think—and it is a massive and accelerating multi-billion dollar opportunity.
In 2020, we grew revenue by over 4x. Our growing customer base extends across the energy, government, mobility, and urban development sectors. Fast Company has named us as one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2021 and a World Changing Ideas finalist, and we were named to the GovTech 100 list of top technology companies serving government agencies.
We are growing our team to meet market demand and accelerate product development. We’re looking for the most inspired, most talented, and hardest working people to help us meet important global, societal, and business imperatives. We draw talent from the best technology companies and educational institutions, and attract people who want to apply their talent and creativity to solving hard technology and product-related problems and addressing the most pressing climate, equity, and urban challenges of our generation.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you are enthusiastic about building scalable infrastructure that powers intuitive yet powerful interfaces, allowing our customers to beautifully map and perform spatial analysis on UrbanFootprint’s unique core of urban intelligence data. Pragmatic and nimble, you are well-versed in modern cloud computing solutions and best practices, comfortable testing different technical solutions and mapping offerings to business requirements. Product-minded and creative, you care about solving real business problems and face technical challenges with a ‘yes and’ approach. Respectful and humble, you ensure all ideas are considered to find the best solutions for serving our diverse customer base. Collaborative and accountable, you believe that building valuable and sustainable software is a group activity.
What you’ll do
- Design APIs to support cutting-edge geospatial visualization applications.
- Partner with product and other technical leads to translate product vision into technical requirements.
- Develop and promote best practices for backend development.
- Write beautiful, maintainable, well-tested code.
- Take full ownership of the features you build, embracing a documentation-first approach and partnering with internal teams to ensure we deliver delightful, bug-free experiences to our customers.
Your background likely includes
- 5+ years of on-the-job experience writing production applications with one dynamic language (Python strongly preferred) and one strongly typed, compiled language.
- Demonstrated depth in understanding distributed systems, data stores, data modeling, indexing and associated trade-offs.
- Experience writing comprehensive tests including unit, integration and end to end tests with a focus on high code coverage.
- Experience with architectural patterns and development of scalable, production-quality backend systems.
- Experience with geospatial data, including map, vector, or raster tiles, common geospatial data formats and indexing schemas (such s2 or h3), and various geography-based concepts.
- Deep experience with a variety of backend applications that support geospatial indexing and querying including PostGIS and Elasticsearch.
- Experience with multiple cloud platforms including AWS and GCP.
- Focus and interest on the future of cities and sustainability.
UrbanFootprint is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws