Senior Frontend Engineer
Urban Footprint · Berkeley, CA
Location: Bay Area preferred. Open to remote candidates based anywhere in the U.S.
UrbanFootprint is a software company that serves the world’s first Urban Intelligence Platform to public and private-sector organizations taking on the urban, climate, and social equity challenges of the 21st century. UrbanFootprint’s data and web-based geospatial software unifies previously siloed climate, environmental, urban, and socio-economic data and helps governments, utilities, financial institutions, and urban and transportation planners to answer fundamental resource questions — where to invest, where to deploy resources, and where to optimize for risk, return, resilience, and community.
Governments and businesses are investing in resilience at an unprecedented level. In the next ten years alone, they will spend over $8T on transitioning to a net-zero economy and building efficient, equitable, and sustainable practices. But they don’t know where to invest. They need clear and precise signals about climate threats and dynamic urban, mobility, and economic trends.
The iconic technology companies of this decade will be those that address social inequality and climate change at scale. This represents a once-in-many-generation opportunity to change the way organizations think—and it is a massive and accelerating multi-billion dollar opportunity.
In 2020, we grew revenue by over 4x. Our growing customer base extends across the energy, government, mobility, and urban development sectors. Fast Company has named us as one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2021 and a World Changing Ideas finalist, and we were named to the GovTech 100 list of top technology companies serving government agencies.
We are growing our team to meet market demand and accelerate product development. We’re looking for the most inspired, most talented, and hardest working people to help us meet important global, societal, and business imperatives. We draw talent from the best technology companies and educational institutions and attract people who want to apply their talent and creativity to solving hard technology and product-related problems and addressing the most pressing climate, equity, and urban challenges of our generation.
UrbanFootprint is looking for an adaptable, collaborative Senior Frontend Engineer to join our team. UrbanFootprint’s Platform provides data-rich, map-centric experiences that facilitate cutting edge web-mapping, analysis, and reporting abilities through a high-fidelity browser-based interface. Built upon TypeScript, React, Mapbox GL and GraphQL our front-end applications deliver beautiful, engaging experiences that combine 2D and 3D map interaction, data visualization, and comparative analytics which is supported by a backend built with Python, Node.js, PostgreSQL, and PostGIS, for geospatial queries and analysis.
As a Senior Front End Engineer, you are enthusiastic about building simple and intuitive yet powerful interfaces that allow our customers to beautifully map and perform spatial analysis on UrbanFootprint’s unique core of urban intelligence data. Intellectually curious and driven to improve, you test out new technologies and frameworks to find what works best as we build out multiple web applications to serve our diverse customer base. Pragmatic and adaptable, you can rapidly prototype to inform technology and product decisions. A collaborative team member, you partner just as easily with product and design as with backend engineering, helping lead technical decision-making and develop technical roadmaps.
What you’ll do
- Build sophisticated user experiences in a cutting-edge geospatial visualization application using React, REST and GraphQL APIs.
- Partner with product and other technical leads to translate product vision into technical requirements.
- Develop and promote best practices for front end development, including reusable code patterns and components.
- Write beautiful, maintainable, well-documented and well-tested code.
- Take full ownership of the features you build, embracing a documentation-first approach and partnering with internal teams to ensure we deliver delightful, bug-free experiences to our customers.
Your background likely includes
- 4+ years of job experience with at least one modern front-end framework such as React or Vue.
- Demonstrable experience coding in both functional and object-oriented code patterns.
- Experience writing comprehensive tests including unit, integration and end to end tests with a focus on high code coverage.
- Experience with geospatial data, including map, vector, or raster tiles, common geospatial data formats and indexing schemas (such s2 or h3), and various geography-based concepts.
- Good understanding of various backend databases including common SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Focus and interest on the future of cities and sustainability.
UrbanFootprint is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.