Senior Software Engineer
Crisis Text Line · Remote
Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, high-quality text-based mental health support and crisis intervention by empowering a community of trained volunteers to support people in their moments of need. Our mission is at the intersection of empathy and innovation — we promote mental well-being for people wherever they are. Our vision is an empathetic world where nobody feels alone. Our core values are connected with empathy, center equity, get it done together, and reflect and evolve, these four are at the heart of all we do.
Our mission: At the intersection of empathy and innovation — we promote mental well-being for people wherever they are.
Our vision: an empathetic world where nobody feels alone
Our values: connect with empathy, center equity, get it done together, and reflect and evolve
As a Senior Software Engineer at Crisis Text Line, you will help architect, build, and scale the world’s largest, free, 24/7 service supporting people in crisis over SMS and other messaging platforms. The technology you develop will help save lives.
About our team:
Crisis Text Line has served over 140 million messages across four countries, trained more than 30,000 Crisis Counselors, and built the largest mental health conversation data set in the world. Now we’re looking to grow rapidly to provide support in other countries and languages.
Our team aspires to reflect the diverse audiences and voices that our products serve. We believe that diversity of perspectives, cultures, and ideas makes everything we build better, and we aim to recruit and hire accordingly.
What you'd work on:
- Our modern web platform based on Symfony, Node.js, TypeScript, and React, hosted in AWS, where thousands of people in crisis get support every day by connecting with an individual from our corps of trained volunteers
- Other custom-built applications to support our volunteer base and the employees that support them
- Multiple integrations with 3rd parties including Twilio, Facebook, Salesforce, Okta
- Tooling for developing and serving machine learning models developed by our in-house data scientists
We want you to:
- Collaborate. We’re looking for empathetic team players who can communicate with Engineers, Product Managers, and other colleagues with kindness and clarity
- Teach. You are generous with your time and experience, can mentor junior engineers, and promote technical best practices
- Learn. You are flexible with languages and tools and are willing to learn whatever is necessary to get the job done
- Build. You should have 5+ years of experience developing web applications and write straightforward, well-structured code
Why you should join
We are already at a scale where we save many lives every day. You will be joining Crisis Text Line right as we ramp up our international expansion and expand into more languages. The tools and infrastructure that you build will enable us to expand to serving millions of people around the world.
We currently have three collaborative scrum teams with wonderful, caring teammates. We are remote-friendly and utilize tools like Slack and video conferencing tools for open communication. The organization is small enough where it is easy to make improvements when you see something that could be done better.
Substantial international expansion opens up many career opportunities. Some of the technical challenges we are starting to think about currently are moving to a multi-tenant architecture that can scale globally, internationalizing our platform to support more languages, and developing systems for coordinating global collaboration. On top of the technical opportunities, we will be growing our team substantially in the next couple of years which means more opportunities for leadership.
- 20 paid holidays, including 3 floating holidays
- Generous paid time off: 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 7 sick days
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family
- 403B retirement plan (the nonprofit equivalent of a 401K): 3% contribution by Crisis Text Line
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (available after 6 months of employment)
- 4 weeks of volunteer sabbatical (after 2 years of continuous full time service)
- Mental health stipend
- Wellness stipend
- Internet service stipend
- Home office setup stipend