ThinkCERCA · Remote (USA)
We’re looking for a DevOps Engineer:
We’re looking for a DevOps Engineer who would like to join a growing education technology start-up in building user-centered products that help kids build critical thinking skills.
Specifically, we are looking for someone with experience in automating the provisioning of the infrastructure for web-based applications and automating the common operation and maintenance tasks involved in running user-facing applications on the web.
An ideal DevOps Engineer candidate will know or be ready to learn:
- the infrastructure technology behind a contemporary web application (we use React, Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, and MongoDB in our software stack), including services from providers such as Heroku, Amazon Web Services, and Google Cloud Services
- the various CLI, GUI, and SaaS tooling available to DevOps engineers, including Git and GitHub (including GitHub Actions), Terraform or AWS CloudFormation, monitoring tools such as Grafana or AWS CloudWatch
- basic security and scaling processes, network configuration, and other underlying infrastructural concerns, specifically as applied to IaaS and PaaS providers
- how to write documentation for the operation of infrastructure and applications, including runbooks, checklists, and incident reporting
- how to help foster a highly functional software team through collaboration with other engineers, QA engineers, project managers, and product managers
We consider DevOps engineers to be as equally important to our software development practice as the full-stack developers who build new features. We include our DevOps engineers in the full planning and development process at ThinkCERCA.
If you were working for ThinkCERCA, here are some of the things you might have done in the last month:
- You would have written clean, reusable, testable code to provisions the infrastructure behind applications that help students develop critical thinking skills.
- You would have collaborated with the team in planning an application release.
- You would have collaborated with stakeholders from product, design, PM, and DevOps teams on the correct approach to meeting product requirements.
- You would have researched solutions on how to best maintain our existing application platforms, and advocated for opportunities to improve them.
- You would have worked with other developers to fully document, through both code and prose, the proper behavior of our applications.
- You may have communicated with technology and business stakeholders during the handling of planned maintenance or unplanned incidents that impacted the availability of our applications.
Here are some other things we are looking for in a candidate:
- DevOps/System administration experience: 5+ years as a system administrator or DevOps engineer, delivering automated infrastructure in an IaaS or PaaS environment.
- Strong computer science fundamentals. You’re experienced with supporting the technologies in our tech stack (Ruby on Rails, React, RESTful and GraphQL APIs). You should be interested in understanding the architectural patterns behind these technologies.
- You’re proficient with modern software development tools, such as Git and GitHub, issue tracking, UNIX command-line utilities, Docker container usage, some modern programming editor or IDE, and have at least been exposed to the concepts of continuous integration and continuous delivery systems.
- Excellent communication skills in English: You can effectively work with engineers but at the same time collaborate with product managers and other non-technical stakeholders as needed.
- You care about building a strong tech culture that values growth, learning, ownership and accountability, diversity and inclusion, and camaraderie, all aligned with our ThinkCERCA values.
Chicago strongly preferred, but remote work on US Central business hours is acceptable, as we do run as a distributed team currently using Slack, GitHub, Jira, and Confluence for team communication and collaboration.
Why you want to jump on the ThinkCERCA train:
ThinkCERCA is a Chicago-based company passionately committed to improving the quality of K-12 education. Built by educators, our online platform is designed to empower teachers in personalizing literacy instruction across disciplines. The ThinkCERCA Framework provides a common language for students, teachers, parents, and administrators to drive sustainable growth in student achievement. Our work has a demonstrated impact: The results of third-party studies show that schools that use ThinkCERCA see significant growth in their students’ literacy and critical thinking skills.