Software Engineer - Lead
Earnest · Remote (USA)
At Earnest, we believe in a world where paying for your education takes less time than earning your degree. Join us on our mission to empower anyone seeking higher education to reduce the total price tag of their degree, supercharge their ability to pay down student debt, and get on the right financial track fast.
A little background on Earnest: We're a remote first FinTech company with an accomplished team who believe consumer lending can be radically improved and are doing something about it. We are disrupting the trillion dollar student loan industry by redefining what it means to be creditworthy. We created a company that combines data science, streamlined design, and technology to:
- Build products that simplify the lending process
- Personalize loans to suit the needs of our customers
- Engage with our customers through more human experiences
What makes an “Earnie” culture:
Earnest’s culture is as dynamic as the products we’re building and defining every day. We’re a fast-growing company, and that means we’re constantly integrating the new perspectives of every individual.
Earnies define our culture as:
- Earn Happy Clients
- Client happiness is our true north star.
- Make it happen
- We work hard to deliver high-impact results at rapid pace.
- Growth Mindset
- We love challenges, enjoy rigorous effort, and learn from our mistakes as we continuously improve.
- Do great things together
- Success is built on relationships.
- Insist on high standards
- We have relentlessly high standards and continuously raise the bar on the quality of everything: our products, services, processes, and people.
Our Earnie's are fun, innovative, and willing to rollup their sleeves to help their team succeed in a fast-paced environment. If this sounds like you, and you want to join us on our mission to radically disrupt a trillion dollar fintech industry, keep reading to find out how.
As a Lead Engineer at Earnest, you will provide technical direction for your product engineering squad and build the software that is revolutionizing consumer lending, automating the loan approval process and orchestrating the transfer of billions of dollars. In addition to the $10+ billion in loans serviced, we build tools to maximize Earnest's growth while providing the best possible client experience. Our focus is on building a modern platform that allows us to move faster over time. This means a willingness to rethink domains from first principles and an ability to collaborate well across technical and non-technical teams. This position will report to an Engineering Manager.
At Earnest, we use Node.js, TypeScript, and GraphQL on the server-side. On the front-end we use React/Redux. We deploy services in Docker and Kubernetes on AWS. We integrate with other internal microservices (written in Node.js and Python) and store the bulk of our data in Postgres and Amazon S3.
What you'll do:
- Participate in product discovery and translate growth plans into modern, scalable architecture.
- Give voice to and be accountable for team-oriented business and technical outcomes.
- Continually up-level a product development team through mentoring, establishing best practices, and setting a high bar for technical excellence.
- Collaborate with the Software Architect and other Technical Leads to establish technical roadmap
- Launch new mission-driven features, such as integrations with strategic partners, redesigning a, integration of data science and machine learning models to automate loan decisions
- Work with Engineering Manager, and Product Manager, and stakeholders to establish priorities for the team
Ideal background and expertise:
- 6+ years of professional development experience
- Experience with server-side concepts, e.g. microservices, database, caching, performance, monitoring and scalability
- Extensive experience with modern Node.js
- Professional experience in React/Redux desirable
- Relevant data modeling experience and integration with databases such as PostgresSQL
- Experience working in Fintech, Banking, or related Consumer Financial Services companies is a plus
Earnest believes in enabling our employees to live their best lives. We offer a variety of perks and competitive benefits that include:
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits plus savings plans
- Work anywhere in the U.S.
- Mac computers + work from home stipend to set up your home office
- Monthly internet and phone reimbursement
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401(k) plan to help you save for retirement plus a company match
- Robust tuition reimbursement program
- $1,000 travel perk on each Earnie-versary to anywhere in the world
- Competitive days of annual PTO
- Annual “my day”
- Pet insurance!
- Competitive parental leave
- Plenty of Earnest swag, optional in person team gatherings, picnics, celebrations, and plenty of fun virtual events
At Earnest, we are committed to building an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging enables us to move forward with our mission. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage anyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Earnest provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.