Product Manager, TerraMatch
World Resources Institute · Washington, DC
In this role, you will serve as the technical product lead for the TerraMatch platform prioritizing bug fixes and the development of new tools and features, refining the product strategy, managing day-to-day conversations with our software vendor, and keeping up to date on WRI’s other technical platforms to better identify opportunities for integration. You will also develop user research strategies and execution, working with members of the Global and country teams. This role will require you to be involved in UX design, exploring the problem/solution space to understand and better communicate to the technical restoration experts what we are building. You will work closely with the TerraMatch Manager, Project Specialist, and Restoration Monitoring team to ensure that the platform is able to meet the needs of upcoming engagement opportunities, and support the development of pitch decks and presentations to potential donors.
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based at WRI’s office in Washington, DC once restriction have lifted with the possibility to be continued as remote.
Product development and Feature Enhancement (60%)
- Work closely with the TerraMatch Manager and Project Specialist to identify new features and opportunities to improve the effectiveness of the platform and engage more users
- Lead bug/feature prioritization and day-to-day development activities with the TerraMatch development firm, including overseeing sprint progress and conducting user acceptance testing (UAT)
- Develop user research strategies, create plans and assets, conduct interviews, and synthesize findings to ensure feature development and design is aligned with user needs
- Identify and prioritize bugs and key feature requests based on user feedback and priorities from the WRI restoration team and submit them to the TerraMatch development firm to be addressed
- Scope out priority feature requests, including the development of user stories and wire-framing
- Support the Project Specialist with the roll out of new features and tools to users Work closely with the restoration monitoring team on the integration of monitoring tools into TerraMatch
- Regularly communicate with the restoration teams in WRI’s International Offices to collect local input and feedback
- Manage our relationship with our software vendor to ensure we are getting the most value out of our contracts and development cycles
Platform Strategy and Integration (30%)
- Communicate and build consensus among internal stakeholders on product strategy, prioritization and development cycle road maps
- Facilitate conversations that lead to tangible strategic decisions
- Build a product strategy & roadmap Conduct industry research
- Maintain product documentation Keep up to date with WRI’s other digital platforms and assets (ex. GFW, Resource Watch, Land and Carbon Watch, Trees Outside the Forest, etc.) to better understand how TerraMatch fits into WRI’s overall product plans and find areas of potential collaboration
Partnership Engagement (10%)
- Demo TerraMatch to prospective users and help identify if the platform is a good fit for them
- Assist in fundraising activities in conjunction with the TerraMatch manager
- Help manage relationships with partners
- Minimum of 5 years of related full-time professional work experience
- Master's degree in computer science, product development or related field, or bachelor's degree with two+ additional years of work experience
- Experience with product management and customer development
- Experience working with two-sided digital platforms a plus
- Experience with user interface/user experience (UI/UX) design Comfortable leading product management as an independent and driven self-starter
- Ability to manage a complex workload remotely and meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team
- Team player who is flexible, highly responsible, articulate and self-motivated
- Ability to think creatively about systems and processes
- Interest in and commitment to environmental and international development issues
- Fluency or working proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, and/or French
- Background or understanding of landscape restoration or sustainable land management issues
$94,000 - $128,000 if based in United States. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter with resume. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
WRI’s Global Restoration Initiative, under which TerraMatch operates, aims to catalyze a movement to restore vitality to degraded lands. These degraded lands can be restored into healthy mosaics of sustainable agriculture, agroforestry landscapes (or mixed-forest agriculture), and restored forest ecosystems generating economic, ecological, and social benefits to people and planet. Our strategy to accelerate restoration action has three components: 1. Knowledge: quantify benefits and conduct analyses that frames conversations on the progress of restoration around the globe. We aim to be the source of high-quality data, analyses and stories on forest and landscape restoration. 2. Capacity: build restoration entrepreneurs’ skills through the Lands Accelerator program and address gaps in policy incentives that impede large scale restoration. We support early adopters (e.g. businesses, policy makers, government agencies) to achieve more, faster through immersive accelerators and mentorship. 3. Connection: connect people and create value through regional networks, finance and peer-to-peer learning. The Initiative 20x20 and AFR100 are country-led regional efforts that bring together high-level ministers, civil society organizations, experts and investors with one vision: bring millions of hectares of deforested and degraded landscapes into restoration. TerraMatch is a platform that connects people who grow trees with funders. And, peer-to-peer learning unites 10 landscapes from WRI Brasil, WRI Mexico, WRI India, WRI Indonesia, and WRI Africa to exchange on integrated landscape management.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.