Director of Engineering
Guild Education · Remote (USA)
About the job
This may be a remote role, which can sit in any of the following 25 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TN, TX, SC, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
We are hiring a Director of Student Experience Product Engineering to help us scale our consumer facing products and systems to support the next stage of Guild’s growth.
We are looking for an experienced director who has a passion for building well-crafted consumer facing products and systems. This role will lead the team of engineers who support Guild’s web-based B2C products: the public facing platform that enables Guild’s students to find and apply to the education opportunities that will help them meet their goals. The role will regularly work with a diverse group of partners; from peers in engineering, product, and design to leaders in the operations, marketing, employer and academic partner, and sales organizations. We are looking for a leader who is excited to direct multiple teams building solutions that serve Guild students and coaches while taking into account inputs and needs of employers and academic providers.
As the Director of Student Experience Product Engineering, you will:
- Lead and expand the team of engineers supporting Guild’s B2C products and services.
- Work closely with cross-functional leaders to craft experiences that put Guild’s students first while also supporting Guild’s operations, B2B product, and platform teams.
- Partner closely with engineering, product, and design leadership to define a roadmap that will set Guild up to scale/take advantage of new opportunities in the future.
- Work with Guild’s Engineering Enablement team to define/implement systems and processes to facilitate the application of agile methodologies across the organization including forecasting, capacity planning, capitalization, agile processes and ceremonies, roadmap, and delivery management.
- Collaborate with other engineering leaders to put systems, processes and metrics in place to measure the performance of B2C products and services. This includes systems performance, cost and SLA attainment, agile process measurement, delivery management and team health.
- Work alongside the InfoSec team to define and implement processes and metrics to maintain compliance across B2C products. This includes standards such as WCAG 2.1, CCPA, and SOC-2.
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- 8+ years of engineering experience delivering B2C products and systems.
- Led, managed, and grown multiple engineering teams in a fast-paced engineering organization (4+ teams).
- Led and developed teams building consumer products using modern web technologies (React, Vue, TypeScript, GraphQL, etc).
- Expertise building high quality, maintainable products and systems--data modeling, unit and integration testing, linting, instrumentation, CI/CD, etc; you know what it takes for teams to deliver software that can be improved over time.
- A track record of building strong relationships with a diverse group of partners.
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, listening, and mentoring skills.
- A dedication to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively explain technical concepts and processes to other engineers, product managers, user experience designers, and partners.
- Proven curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new processes and technologies.
- Willingness to embrace change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
We are one of the few female-led companies to hit a $1 billion valuation and the only Certified B Corporation with those qualifications. Our Series D financing round was led by Ken Chenault , General Catalyst Partners chairman and former CEO of AMEX, and joined by Emerson Collective, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Additionally, we feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base salary range of $190,000 - $216,500, as well as company stock options.
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for your future
- 3 weeks of vacation in your first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help you recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, so that you can take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth